68 names for High Court judges in one go
- Within days of successfully getting nine new judges appointed to the Supreme Court in one go, the apex court Collegium led by Chief Justice of India N.V. Ramana has, in yet another first, recommended 68 names in one stroke for elevation as judges of various High Courts.
- Of the 68, there are 44 from the Bar and 24 from the Judicial Service.
RIL targets 100 GW from renewables by 2030
- Reliance Industries will create or enable capacity to generate at least 100 gigawatts of electricity by 2030 from renewable sources.
- It can be converted into carbon-free green hydrogen
- RIL has outlined a ‘1-1-1 vision’ to bring down the cost of hydrogen to under $1 for one kg in one decade.
- The focus on generating electricity from renewable sources of energy such as solar and wind will help cut carbon emissions in the world’s third-largest greenhouse gas emitter.
Google to offer COVID-19 vaccine details
- Technology giant Google will provide details on COVID-19 vaccination availability, pricing, and location on its various services including Google Search, Maps, and Google Assistant
- Google also added search support in eight regional languages including Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Gujarati.
- Corbevax becomes the third India-made vaccine that may be available for use in children.
- Hyderabad-based pharmaceutical company Biological E. Limited has been approved by the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) to conduct further trials of its vaccine Corbevax on children and adolescents.
- Following Zycov-D by Zydus Cadilla and Covaxin by Bharat Biotech, Corbevax becomes the third India-made vaccine that may be available for use in children.
- Zycov-D has already received authorization for emergency use in children who are over 12 years.
FootPrints of Dinosaurs in Thar desert
- The giant finds in western Rajasthan are estimated to be 200 million years old
- In a major discovery, footprints of three species of dinosaurs have been found in the Thar desert in Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer district, proving the presence of the giant reptiles in the western part of the State, which formed the seashore to the Tethys Ocean during the Mesozoic era.
- The footprints, made in the sediment or silt of the seashore, later become permanently stone-like. They belong to three species of dinosaurs — Eubrontes cf. giganteus, Eubrontes glenrosensis and Grallator tenuis.
Army carries out armored exercise
- The Army conducted an exercise with armored elements in the Super High Altitude Area (SHAA) of Ladakh under the aegis of the Leh-based 14 Corps.
- This comes in the backdrop of the Army’s renewed focus on beefing up armor in high altitude terrain following the deployment of tanks by India and China during last year’s stand-off in Eastern Ladakh.
Biden moves to declassify documents about 9/11 attacks
- U.S. President Joe Biden directed the declassification of certain documents related to the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a supportive gesture to victims’ families who have long sought the records in hopes of implicating the Saudi government.
- The order, coming little more than a week before the 20th anniversary of the attacks, is a significant moment in a years-long tussle between the government and the families over what classified information about the run-up to the attacks could be made public.
India and US
- India and the United States reaffirmed the strength of their defense relationship underscoring commitment to strengthen bilateral and multilateral cooperation for a free and open Indo-Pacific region.
- India is the only designated Major Defence Partner of the United States
India, Nepal sign pacts to reconstruct over 100 projects
- India and Nepal signed a memorandum of understandings for the reconstruction of 14 cultural heritage and 103 health sector projects damaged by the devastating 2015 earthquake in the country.
- These projects will be reconstructed at a cost of 420 crore Nepalese Rupees $36 million
- Under the post-earthquake reconstruction package, India has allocated a total grant of $250 million, including $50 million each for education, cultural heritage, and health sector, and $100 million for the housing sector
EU, AstraZeneca reach a deal
- The European Union says it has reached an agreement with drugmaker AstraZeneca to end their legal battle over the slow delivery of the Anglo-Swedish company’s coronavirus vaccine
- The European Commission said the commitment involves the pharmaceutical company providing 135 million doses by the end of this year, plus another 65 million doses in the first quarter of 2022
India, U.S. signed co-development agreement for Air-Launched Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- India and the United States had signed a Project Agreement (PA) at the end of July for Air-Launched Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (ALUAV) under the ambit of the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI)
It is a significant step towards deepening defense technology collaboration between the two nations through the co-development of defense equipment.
The DTTI was announced in 2012 as an ambitious initiative for co-production and co-development of military systems but has never really taken off despite several efforts.
Australia and Britan Swap deal
- Britain is rushing 4 million Pfizer doses to Australia, where authorities are scrambling to bolster supplies of that COVID-19 vaccine and protect the population against a rapidly spreading outbreak of the delta variant.
- The swap deal announced on September 3 follows Australian deals with Singapore and Poland to address a short-term Pfizer shortage.
Norway fund exits ONGC due to South Sudan
- Norway’s $1.4-trillion wealth fund has excluded Oil and Natural Gas Corp. from its portfolio due to concerns over the firm’s business in South Sudan.
- Exclusions are based on advice from the fund’s ethics watchdog.
Krishan breaks Jinson’s 800m record
- Army’s Krishan Kumar, the National inter-State champion, broke international Jinson Johnson’s 800m meet record as he won the gold with a personal best 1:48.02s in the 70th Services athletics championships at the Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar.
- It was the fastest time by an Indian in the two-lapper this year.
Shooter Manish Narwal clinches India’s 3rd gold, Adana bags silver
The 19-year-old Narwal shot a total of 218.2, a Paralympic record, to claim the gold while Adana added a silver to his kitty with an effort of 216.7