1. National Mission on Clean Ganga: Guinness Record
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga set a Guinness World Record on the first day of the Ganga Utsav for the highest number of photos of handwritten notes uploaded on Facebook in an hour.
- The Jal Shakti Ministry has released a guide for the safe rescue and release of stranded Ganges River Dolphins.
Click here to know more
2. Indias new army aviation brigade
- India raised a new army aviation brigade in the eastern sector of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Arunachal Pradesh sector.
- The LAC is the demarcation that separates Indian-controlled territory from Chinese-controlled territory.
- The new army aviation brigade was raised in March 2021 at Missamari airbase, close to Tezpur, Assam
- It has capabilities such as Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH), US Cheetah helicopters, and Israel’s Heron drones.
3. Ayodhya’s Deepotsav into Guinness World Records
- Ayodhya’s Deepotsav made it to the Guinness World Records after the Uttar Pradesh Tourism Department displayed over nine lakh oil lamps along the banks of river Saryu
- It is a part of grand Diwali celebrations in the holy city.
4. India’s first mega-scale Maleic Anhydride Plant
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC) will invest Rs 3,681 crore in setting up India’s first mega-scale Maleic Anhydride Plant to manufacture value-added chemical products at its Panipat refinery and petroleum complex (PRPC) in Haryana.
- The project is proposed to have a capacity of 120,000 tonnes per annum of Maleic Anhydride (MAH).
4. Marusudar River
- India has successfully diverted the water of the Marusudar River into the concrete face of Rockfill Pakal Dul dam in Kashmir, which otherwise could have flown into Pakistan.
- Marusudar River is a tributary of the Chenab river, which was diverted to Pakal Dul dam to produce hydroelectricity in the Kishtwar district in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The crucial 1000 Mwatt Pakal Dul Hydro-Electric project was started by the Union Government to harness water and electricity from the Marusudar river.
5. Declaration on Forests and Land Use
- An ambitious declaration was initiated by the United Kingdom to “halt deforestation” and land degradation by 2030.
- It is being referred to as the Glasgow Leaders’ Declaration on Forests and Land Use.
- India did not sign this, as it objected to “trade” being interlinked to climate change and forest issues in the agreement.
- It was adopted to help achieve a balance between anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions and removal by sinks; to adapt to climate change, and to maintain other ecosystem services.
- The declaration has over 105 signatories including the UK, US, Russia, and China.
- These countries represent 75% of global trade and 85% of global forests in key commodities that can threaten forests – such as palm oil, cocoa, and soya.
- It is claimed that Molnupiravir, an oral drug, can cut the risk of hospitalization in Covid-19 patients by half, in phase 3 trials.
- In India, the Optimus Group recently announced the results of phase 3 clinical trials, which found 91.5% of patients given the drug tested RT-PCR (Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction) negative.
- It belongs to a class of broad-spectrum antiviral drugs called nucleoside analogs.
- They act by interfering with the function of viral RNA (Ribonucleic Acids) polymerases – which are enzymes that make new viral RNA in infected cells.
- It works by causing viruses to make errors when copying their own RNA, introducing mutations that inhibit replication.
- It was initially invented as a drug for the influenza virus.
7. PCA Framework Revised
- Recently, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced a revised Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework.
- The framework applies to all banks operating in India, including foreign banks operating through branches or subsidiaries based on breach of risk thresholds of identified indicators.
- However, payments banks and small finance banks (SFBs) have been removed from the list of lenders where prompt corrective action can be initiated.
- Capital, Asset Quality, and Capital-To-Risk Weighted Assets Ratio(CRAR), NPA ratio, Tier I Leverage Ratio, will be the key areas for monitoring in the revised framework.
- However, the revised framework excludes return on assets as a parameter that may trigger action under the framework.
- The new provisions will be effective from January 2022.
Click here to know more
8. Internet Exchange for Uttarakhand in Dehradun
- The 10th internet exchange of NIXI in India was inaugurated.
- It will help in enhancing and improving the quality of Internet and Broadband services in Uttarakhand.
- This exchange at Dehradun not only will benefit the netizens of Dehradun but promote the arrival of more Internet Service Providers and more Content Delivery network at Dehradun.
9. Impact Bond
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) launched the first-of-its-kind and the largest ‘Impact Bond’ for skilling in India in collaboration with global partners, involving a USD 14.4 million fund which will benefit 50,000 youth by making them employment ready.
- Along with the NSDC, the global coalition comprises HRH Prince Charles’s British Asian Trust, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation (MSDF), The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), HSBC India, JSW Foundation, and Dubai Cares, with FCDO (UK Government) & USAID as technical partners.
10. SpaceX subsidiary in India
- Elon Musk’s satellite unit SpaceX established a subsidiary in India named Starlink Satellite Communications, with plans to ultimately launch a broadband service in the country.
- Starlink is the satellite internet division of SpaceX, which operates a fleet of Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites.
- Amazon unveiled plans to launch its first prototype internet satellites as part of its Project Kuiper broadband constellation by Q4 2022.
11. International Seed Conference
Telangana has been invited to participate in a conference which will be held virtually by Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).
About the International Seed Conference
- International Seed Conference is a two-day conference.
- It will be held on November 4 & November 5, 2021, in Rome by FAO.
- Representatives, Ministers, scientists, and seed experts from 195 countries would participate in the conference.
12. World Bank signs MoU with Meghalaya
- The Indian government and the World Bank have signed MoU for a $40 million project for improving the quality of health services in Meghalaya.
- This MoU will strengthen the capacity of the state to handle future health emergencies like the covid-19 pandemic.
- The project is dubbed as “Meghalaya Health Systems Strengthening Project”.
Megha Health Insurance Scheme (MHIS)
- This project will help in strengthening the effectiveness of Meghalaya’s health insurance program dubbed the Megha Health Insurance Scheme (MHIS).
- MHIS currently covers 56% of the households.
- Now, with integration with the national Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY), the scheme plans to cover 100% of the households.
- It will reduce barriers to accessing hospital services as well as prevent catastrophic out-of-pocket costs for poor & vulnerable families.
13. IMEO at G 20 Summit
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has launched the “International Methane Emissions Observatory (IMEO)” at the G20 Summit.
International Methane Emissions Observatory
- Methane observatory was launched to drive action on reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- It was launched with support from the European Union.
- It was launched because Methane is one of the most dangerous gases for the climate.
- IMEO will monitor the methane emission through satellite.
- The observatory will produce a global public dataset of empirically verified methane emissions.
- It will initially focus on the fossil fuel sector, as it is responsible for one-third of anthropogenic emissions. This sector has the highest potential for reductions.
18. Vigilance Awareness Week
- The Vigilance Awareness Week is celebrated every year in the birthday week of Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel’s, often referred to as the ‘Bismark of India’.
- Patel was born on October 31st and is hailed as a man of high integrity and honesty.
- This year, the theme of the Vigilance Week celebrations is ‘Independent India @ 75: Self Reliance with Integrity’.