1. Goddess Annapurna
- An ancient idol of Goddess Annapurna was brought back to India after over a century from Canada.
- The Shobha Yatra will begin from the Kashi Vishwanath temple in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, where it is scheduled to be placed.
- The ancient Annapurna idol, stolen from India about a century ago.
- Annapurna is the goddess of food.
- The 18th-century idol, carved in the Benares style, was part of the collection at the MacKenzie Art Gallery at the University of Regina, Canada.
2. Haryana State Employment of Local Candidates Act, 2020
The Haryana government notified a law, which provides 75 percent reservation for local youth in private sector jobs that offer a salary of less than Rs 30,000 a month, from January 15, 2022.
- The Haryana State Employment of Local Candidates Act, 2020 covers private companies, societies, trusts, and partnership firms in the state, as per a notification issued by the state government.
- The government reduced the upper limit of gross monthly salary under the Act from Rs 50,000 per month to Rs 30,000.
- It also made it mandatory for employers to register all such employees who draw a gross monthly salary of not more than Rs 30,000 per month.
- The Act will be applicable to any entity that employs 10 or more persons on salary, wages, or other remuneration for the purpose of manufacturing, carrying on business, or rendering any service in Haryana.
- Violation of any provision of this Act will be a punishable offense.
3. Srinagar: UNESCO Network of Creative Cities
- Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, has joined UNESCO’s network of creative cities. The inclusion is recognized as a “fitting recognition” for the vibrant cultural ethos of the old city.
- It has been designated as a creative city of craft and folk arts.
- Srinagar joins Chennai and Varanasi – UNESCO Cities of music; Jaipur – UNESCO city of crafts and folk arts; Mumbai – UNESCO city of film and Hyderabad – UNESCO City of gastronomy.
- Newly-designated creative cities such as Bohicon, Doha, and Jakarta will join forces with existing member cities to develop innovative urban policies
Click here to know more
4. Arunachal Pradesh on Making Documentary
- Arunachal Pradesh has embarked upon an ambitious plan to showcase the bravery and gallantry of frontier villages that stood for the nation during 1962 Chinese aggression.
- Arunachal Pradesh has sent a 12-member team to Kaho in Anjaw district, which survived the Chinese attack in 1962, for filming a documentary on the village and its inhabitants.
- It is significant that the state government has started showcasing the gallantry of its frontier villages recently with Dipa.
- Dipa Village had taken part in the freedom movement and the national flag was first hoisted at the village on August 15, 1947.
- The villagers had assisted the Indian soldiers who were outnumbered by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army.
- There are 11 Arunachal districts that share a border with China and each has a village on the international border.
- Kaho is also one such patriotic destination, Kaho is the first village from the China border.
- The documentary will be a part of the celebrations of the “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav”, the nationwide event which will mark the 75th year of India’s Independence.
5. Janasevaka scheme
- Karnataka Government launched the Janasevaka scheme in a few municipal corporation wards to ensure home delivery of various services like ration cards, senior citizen identity, and health cards.
- The scheme will pertain to 53 services involving 11 departments.
- Janasevaka under the Sakala scheme is a program to avail the benefits of government schemes at the doorstep.
- Sakala aims to ensure on-time delivery of government services to citizens by practicing innovative and efficient management systems through capacity building in government and empowering citizens to exercise their right to service.
6. Largest Landfill Based Biogas Plant
- Telangana’s capital city Hyderabad is now home to India’s largest landfill gas-to-compressed biogas plant as Ramky Enviro has inaugurated the facility at the Hyderabad Integrated Municipal Solid Waste site.
- The project converts landfill gas into compressed biogas& offers significant benefits such as carbon sequestration, reduced emissions of GHGs into the environment.
7. Tajamul Islam
- Tajamul Islam,13, is the first Kashmiri girl to have represented India and won the gold medal — in the under-14 age category — in World Kickboxing Championship held at Cairo in Egypt.
- She was born in Tarkpora, a remote village in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district.
- Tajamul is also a brand ambassador of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme.
8. World Radiography Day
- November 8 is observed annually as World Radiography Day to commemorate the discovery of X-radiation, or X-rays, on November 8, 1895, by German scientist Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen.
- He, in 1901, became the inaugural winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics for this achievement.
- The first World Radiography Day was celebrated in 2012, with the European Society of Radiology (ESR), Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), and American College of Radiology (ACR) coming together for the initiative.
9. Rashid Khan reaches 400 wickets
- Afghanistan’s premier leg-spinner Rashid Khan picked up his 400th wicket in competitive T20 cricket during the team’s T20 World Cup match against New Zealand.
- The 23-year-old spinner reached the milestone when he bowled New Zealand opener Martin Guptill with a wrong’un in the 9th over of the Kiwi innings.
10. Wang Yaping
- As a part of ongoing construction, a team of Wang Yaping completed a six-hour stint outside the Tiangong space station.
- Wang and her colleague Zhai Zhigang stepped out of Tiangong on November 7, 2021.
- They installed a suspension device and transfer connectors.
- This was the first extravehicular activity of the Shenzhou-13 crew. They will spend six months at the space station.
- Tiangong, which means heavenly palace, is the latest achievement in China’s move to become a major space power.
- China has landed a rover on Mars and is sending several probes to the Moon.
- The core module of the Tiangong entered orbit earlier in 2021. This station is expected to be operational by 2022.
- Tiangong is expected to operate for around 10 years.