Argutes

Bank Exam Current Affairs – 16 October 2021

1. BSF powers and jurisdiction expanded

  1. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has extended the jurisdiction of the Border Security Force (BSF) up to 50 km inside the international borders in Punjab, West Bengal, and Assam.
  2. The BSF’s powers which include arrest, search, and seizure was limited to up to 15 km in these states.
  3. The objective of the move is to bring uniformity and also to increase operational efficiency.

What kind of powers can the BSF exercise in this jurisdiction?

  1. Its jurisdiction has been extended only in respect of the powers it enjoys under the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC), Passport (Entry into India) Act, 1920, and the Passport Act, 1967.
  2. BSF currently has powers to arrest and search under these laws.
  3. It also has powers to arrest, search and seize under the NDPS Act, Arms Act, Customs Act, and certain other laws.
  4. In 1969, the BSF first got powers to arrest and search under the CrPC with respect to certain laws such as the Foreigners Act, The Passport Act, forex laws, and Customs Act.

2. Perseverance Initiates Remarkable Sample Return Mission

  1. NASA, along with the European Space Agency, is developing a campaign to return the Martian samples to Earth.
  2. NASA’s Perseverance rover unfurled its arm, placed a drill bit at the Martian surface, and drilled down to extract a rock core.
  3. The rover later sealed the rock core in its tube.
  4. This historic event marked the first time a spacecraft packed up a rock sample from another planet that could be returned to Earth by future spacecraft.
  5. Mars Sample Return is a multi-mission campaign designed to retrieve the cores Perseverance will collect over the next several years.

Click here to know more

3. India to Ban Single-Use Plastics

  1. India will ban most single-use plastics by next year as part of its efforts to reduce
  2. India’s central government announced the ban this year, following its 2019 resolution to address plastic pollution in the country.
  3. The ban on most single-use plastics will take effect from July 1, 2022.
  4. Single-use plastics refer to disposable items like grocery bags, food packaging, bottles, and straws that are used only once before they are thrown away, or sometimes recycled.
  5. About 60% of plastic waste in India is collected means the remaining 40% or 10,376 tons remain uncollected.

4. RBI issued SFB license

  1. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a Small Finance  Bank (SFB) license to the consortium of Centrum Financial Services Limited (Centrum), the small business lending arm of the Centrum  Group and Resilient Innovations Private Limited (BharatPe).
  2. A new bank license has been issued after a gap of nearly six years, and we thank the RBI for the confidence shown in the abilities of Centrum and BharatPe.

5. Hong Kong University ordered the removal of the Tiananmen Square massacre statue

  1. The University of Hong Kong has ordered the removal of the Tiananmen Square massacre statue that commemorates the protestors killed in China’s 1989 crackdown.
  2. The Pillar of Shame statue was made in remembrance of June 4, 1989, the Tiananmen Square Massacre, which is referred to as the June 4 incident by Chinese authorities.
  3. The People’s Liberation Army had opened fire on student protestors who had been protesting since mid-April in 1989 against corruption, unemployment, inflation, etc.
  4. The statue shows 50 bodies with anguish-ridden faces piled up together commemorating unarmed student protestors who were killed as Chinese troops opened fire on them.
  5. With the new National Security Law passed by China on June 30 last year before the 23rd anniversary of Hong Kong’s transfer from Britain the Chinese government has heavily come down on dissenters.
  6. The notice stated that the statue should be removed from the University’s premises no later than 13 October 2021.

6. International Day of Rural Women

  1. October 15 is celebrated as International Day of Rural Women every year
  2. The day intends to raise awareness about challenges faced by women in rural areas
  3. This year, the theme of the day is “Rural women cultivating good food for all”.
  4. International Day of Rural Women intends to eradicate discrimination faced by women in rural areas.

7. LPU ranked at 10th position

  1. The Times Higher Education World University Rankings has ranked Lovely Professional University (LPU) among the top universities of India in various disciplines.
  2. In the engineering subject, LPU is ranked 10th while in computer science it has been ranked 9th.