Partition Horrors Remembrance Day
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced on August 14, 2021, that, August 14 would now be observed as “Partition Horrors Remembrance Day”
- The day would be observed every year to commemorate the “struggles and sacrifices” of millions of people who were displaced and lost their lives during Partition. Partition Horrors Remembrance Day
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on India’s 75th Independence Day announced a Rs 100 lakh crore ‘Gatishakti’ initiative
- It aims to bring employment opportunities for the youth and to help in holistic infrastructure growth
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi called for making the next 25 years (when India will hit a century of independence) a glorious one with “new thresholds, aspirations, and dreams”
- A new phrase was coined “Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka Vishwas, Sabka Prayaas” (With all, development for all, the trust of all, the striving of all). He termed the next 25 years as “Amrit Kaal” for achieving of these goals.
- Independence Day 2021 theme will be ‘Nation First, Always First’, all the athletes who won medals at Tokyo Olympics 2020 making the country proud of their achievements have also been sent special invites to attend Independence Day.
- India’s cultural diversity and multi-faceted dance forms, ranging from Bharatanatyam to Purulia Chhau, have come alive in a vibrant doodle by the internet search giant Google to mark the country’s 75th Independence Day.
- The doodle made by Kolkata-based artist Sayan Mukherjee
- Telengana State government has announced the implementation of an insurance scheme for handloom workers on the lines of Rythu Bima extended to farmers.
- Scheme contemplated on lines of Rythu Bima provides assistance of ₹ 5 lakh in the event of death
The exercise for presenting a separate “agriculture budget”, with the emphasis on welfare measures for farmers, has started in Rajasthan
Indonesia’s most active volcano Mount Merapi erupted on August 16, with its biggest lava flow, sending a river of lava and searing gas clouds flowing 3.5 kilometers on the densely populated island of Java.
Sri Lanka will procure oxygen from India in the coming weeks to augment supply amid a raging fourth wave of Covid-19 in the island nation.
- Former India defender Chinmoy Chatterjee, who played for the three Maidan heavyweights in his prime in the 1970-the 80s, died of cardiac arrest at his Khardah residence here on Sunday.
- He was a member of the Arun Ghosh-coached Indian team at the 1978 Bangkok Asian Games where they finished fourth in the quarterfinal league.