1. National Workshop on Digital India Land Record Modernisation Programme
In a boost to the national land record modernization program, the Ministry of Rural Development organized a National Workshop to enable States to share each other’s best practices in the field and learn about the latest software developments.
Under the National Workshop on Digital India Land Record Modernisation Programme (DILRMP) National Generic Document Registration System (NGDRS) portal and Dashboard has been launched.
- NGDRS is an in-house advanced software application for the registration system and is configurable and compatible with the state-specific needs in the country
- The National Land Management Award – 2021 was launched and also national level ranking of States based on the best practices for land acquisition for infrastructure projects was proposed.
- Unique Land Parcel Identification Numbers (ULPIN),is based on Geo-coordinates of the parcels, is generated and assigned to the plots.
- This has been introduced to share the computerized digital land record data among different States and sectors and a uniform system of assigning a unique ID to the land parcels across the country.
- So far it has already been implemented in 13 States and pilot-tested in another six.
- The Department has decided to complete the process of assigning unique IDs to the land parcels in the entire country by the end of this financial year, 2021-22.
- When this system will be implemented in the entire country most of the land disputes will be resolved automatically.
2. Puri heritage corridor project
- Puri Heritage Corridor Project was unveiled in December 2019 to transform the holy town of Puri into an international place of heritage.
- The project includes redeveloping major portions of the holy town and in the vicinity of the temple for visitors and tourists.
- A resolution for the project was passed in the state assembly unanimously by all the parties in February 2020 to begin the first phase of work estimated at a cost of Rs 800 crore.
- Following this, the Shree Jagannath Temple Administration (SJTA) approved the architectural design plan of the project at an estimated cost of Rs 3,200 crore.
3. Indus River Dolphin census
- The census of one of the world’s most threatened cetaceans, the Indus river dolphin (Platanista gangetica minor) — a freshwater dolphin that is found in river Beas, is all set to commence in the winter as part of a project by the Centre.
- Punjab’s wildlife preservation wing has gone a step ahead to not only protect the dolphins but also their natural habitat.
- The Indus river dolphin is classified as endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and, until recently, it was believed that these dolphins were endemic to Pakistan.
- But in 2007, a remnant but viable population of Indus dolphins were discovered in Punjab’s Harike wildlife sanctuary and in the lower Beas river
- The project also will embark on dolphin eco-tourism.
- The Beas river supports a viable population of several key aquatic species and the 185 km stretch of the river starting from 52 Headworks, Talwara to Harike Headworks was declared as the Beas Conservation Reserve in 2018.
Click here to know more
4. Business bribery risk
- The TRACE Bribery Risk Matrix measures the likelihood of bribe demands in 194 jurisdictions.
- It was originally published in 2014 to meet a need in the business community for more reliable and nuanced information about the risks of commercial bribery worldwide.
- The TRACE Bribery Risk Matrix aggregates relevant data obtained from leading public interest and international organisations, including the United Nations, World Bank, V-Dem Institute at the University of Gothenburg and World Economic Forum.
- This score is based on four factors — business interactions with the government, anti-bribery deterrence and enforcement, government and civil service transparency, and capacity for civil society oversight which includes the role of the media.
- India has slipped to 82nd position in 2021, five places down from 77th rank last year, in a global list that measures business bribery risks.
5. Salman Khan as Covid vaccination ambassador
- The Maharashtra government has roped in actor Salman Khan in a bid to encourage members of the Muslim community to get vaccinated against Covid-19.
- There is hesitation about receiving anti-coronavirus vaccines in Muslim-majority communities, and the government will enlist the help of Bollywood actor Salman Khan to persuade people to get the vaccine.
6. M Mukundan
- Author M Mukundan has received the JCB Prize for Literature 2021 for his novel Delhi: A Soliloquy.
- The novel, published by Westland Books, was originally written in Malayalam and was translated into English by Fathima EV and Nandakumar K.While Mukundan will receive a prize amount of Rs 25 lakh, Fathima and Nandakumar will receive an amount of Rs 10 lakh.
7. India and Bangladesh to jointly host the 2031 Cricket World Cup
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided that India and Bangladesh will jointly host the 2031 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
- The hosts were selected via a competitive bidding process which was overseen by a board sub-committee chaired by Martin Snedden along with Sourvav Ganguly and Ricky Skerritt.
8. RBL to collect direct Tax
- RBL Bank has been authorized by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), based on a recommendation from the Controller General of Accounts, Ministry of Finance and Government of India (GoI), to collect direct taxes on behalf of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- After technical integration, RBL Bank’s corporate and individual customers will be able to pay their direct taxes through RBL Bank’s mobile banking or net banking platforms as well as through the branch banking network, resulting in ease and convenience for customers.