- Kannur Corporation became the first corporation in the Kerala State to provide the first dose of vaccine to all the residents who completed 18 years of age within its limit.
- Out of the 1,57,265 people who needed to be vaccinated within the Corporation limits, the Corporation achieved its goal by vaccinating all people except those under 90 days of age who are infected with COVID-19 and those who were reluctant to be vaccinated.
- Exercise SURYA KIRAN-XIV, a joint military training exercise between India and Nepal culminated at Nepal Army Battle School (NABS), Salijhandi, Rupendehi district of Nepal.
- The troops of both the Armies participated in 14 days long joint training based on counter-insurgency operations in the jungle and mountainous terrain and also practiced response mechanisms in the eventualities of natural and man-made disasters.
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has declared Kushinagar Airport as a Customs notified airport.
- This would also facilitate international passenger movements including that of Buddhist pilgrims.
- The Ministry of Defence has constituted a high-level expert committee, under the chairmanship of former MP Baijayant Panda, for a comprehensive review of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) in order to make it more relevant in changing times.
- Former Team India captain MS Dhoni and Mahindra Group Chairman Anand Mahindra are among the members part of the Committee.
World Patient Safety Day
- World Patient Safety Day is recognized on 17 September 2021
- WHO urges all stakeholders to “Act now for safe and respectful childbirth!” with the theme “Safe maternal and newborn care”
Attingal Revolt of 1721: 300 years
- The Attingal Revolt of 1721 was an uprising that became an expression of the brewing resentment of the native farmers and traders against the East India Company’s policies, especially for the reduction in the rates of pepper.
- It refers to the massacre of 140 East India Company soldiers by native Indians and the following siege of Fort Anjengo.
- The Attingal Outbreak is often regarded as the first organized revolt against British authority in Malabar, Cochin, and Travancore
Swachhata Pakhwada, 2021
- Mumbai Port Trust flagged off the Swachhata Pakhwada, 2021 activities in Mumbai Port on 16th September 2021 by administering the Swachhata Pledge
- A cleanliness drive has been started in all the departments/divisions.
Power Finance Corporation Ltd issues Green Bond
- Power Finance Corporation Ltd (PFC), a financial institution under the Ministry of Finance, issued its maiden Euro Green Bond of £300 million (~$353 million) under the U.S. Global Medium Term Note Program.
- The bonds will have a tenor of seven years at a coupon of 1.841%.
- The Notes will be listed on the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited, NSE International Exchange, and India INX.
- The settlement date is expected to be September 21, 2021.
- The principal and interest payments will be made in Euro.
- The net proceeds from the issuance of these Notes will be utilized per the external commercial borrowing regulations of the Reserve Bank of India.
- This is the first-ever Euro-denominated green bond issuance from India.
- It is also the first-ever Euro issuance by an Indian non-banking financial company and India’s first Euro bond issuance since 2017.
Click here to know more
Planetarium Innovation Challenge
- MyGov India has launched the Planetarium Innovation Challenge for Indian start-ups and tech entrepreneurs.
- The challenge aims to bring together the tech firms and Startups (based out of India) with the potential to build an indigenous planetariums system software using the latest technologies including Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Merged Reality (MR).
- Inspired by the Chandrayaan launches, the Indian Space Research Organization conducted the ISRO Quiz Competition-2019 in collaboration with MyGov were several schools, parents, and enthusiastic mentors made it memorable through their active participation.
- Researchers from the Geological Survey of India and the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee have discovered a new extinct species of hypsodont shark from the Jaisalmer Basin of Rajasthan.
- It was named Strophodus jaisalmerensis, and the discovery is significant as this is the first record of the Strophodus genus from the Indian subcontinent.
- Hybodonts dominated both marine and freshwater environments during the Triassic and early Jurassic periods.
- Over 30 teeth specimens collected from the region showed that the species lived about 160 and 168 million years ago.
- Mathematician Anand Kumar was conferred with the Swami Brahmanand Award 2021 for his contribution in the field of education through his ‘Super 30’ initiative
- It prepares underprivileged students for the IIT entrance exam.
Prof S.K.Joshi Laboratory Excellence Award
- The Quality Council of India (QCI) said it has launched the Prof S.K.Joshi Laboratory Excellence Award.
- This is the country’s first-of-its-kind laboratory excellence award. This award has been instituted to promote laboratory quality and performance improvement in the country.
- There are three trophies (gold, silver, bronze) in each category of laboratory (testing, medical and calibration) and also cash awards.