Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana
- AB PM-JAY has achieved the milestone of 2 Crore hospital admissions on18th August 2021.
- To mark the milestone of 2 crore hospital treatments, NHA is conducting a virtual experience sharing session Arogya Dhara 2.0.
- The key objective of the event is to spread the word about the landmark achievement and to acknowledge the dedication and efforts of the healthcare workers and others involved in the journey.
Smart Health Cards
- Odisha CM launches smart health cards for free medical treatment up to Rs 10 lakh per year.
- People can avail of quality healthcare services in 200 hospital chains of the country including Odisha with this card
MoU of ICMR and Swiss FIND
- The Union Cabinet has approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), Switzerland.
- The MoU is aimed at strengthening the relationships within the framework of international scientific and technological collaboration and promote cooperation in fields of mutual interest.
Portal for Persons Living with Rare Diseases
The Department of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) has launched a digital portal for crowdfunding and voluntary donations for the treatment of patients of Rare Diseases in accordance with the mandate of the National Policy for Rare Diseases 2021
Floating solar plant
- NTPC’s floating solar installation spans over 75 acres of the Simhadri reservoir’s area.
- It will generate enough electricity to power 7,000 homes using more than a lakh solar PV modules.
- Andhra Pradesh is now home to India’s largest floating solar power plant.
World Humanitarian Day
- Every year World Humanitarian Day is observed on August 19 across the globe to promote human welfare.
- The day is dedicated to the people who have sacrificed their lives for the welfare of others.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) designated this day in 2009 as a day of remembrance and honour of the Special Representative of the secretary-general to Iraq, Sergio Vieira de Mello, and 21 aid workers who were assassinated in the bombing of the UN headquarters in Iraq on August 19, 2003.
- The popular hashtag that dedicates this year’s theme is “#TheHumanRace”.
- Sanskrit week is being celebrated from August 19 to 25 to promote and popularise this ancient language.
- Prime Minister said the Sanskrit language is so rich that it touches every aspect of our life.
Govt announces incentive for mills exporting sugar, diverting it to ethanol
The Centre announced an incentive for sugar mills in the form of an additional domestic sales quota to those that export sugar and divert the commodity towards ethanol making
Defence India Startup Challenge 5.0
- DISC 5.0 is a reflection of the Government’s resolve to create a self-reliant defense sector.
- The challenge to take innovation, design & development to newer heights. iDEX playing a crucial role in building a strong military & ‘AatmaNirbhar’ defense industry.
- Government support to the private sector in building ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat’
NDA for Women
SC allowing women to sit for NDA test is a welcome push for a substantive gender reset in the armed forces
- Exercise Konkan 2021 was held between INS Tabar and HMS Westminster on 16 Aug 21 in the English Channel.
- The exercise included the participation of integral helicopters of the two ships and the Falcon Electronic Warfare aircraft.
- A wide range of exercises including coordinated anti-submarine procedures, firing drills, combined maritime picture compilation, combat formation maneuvering, and replenishment at sea were conducted.
- DRDO develops advanced chaff technology to protect IAF jets from missile attacks
- Chaff is an electronic countermeasure technology used by militaries worldwide to protect naval ships, aircraft, or other sensitive targets from radar and radio frequency guiding mechanisms of the enemy missile.
BRICS Agreement on Remote sensing
- Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa (BRICS) signed an agreement for cooperation in remote sensing satellite data sharing.
- The pact inked on August 17 enables building a virtual constellation of specified remote sensing satellites of BRICS space agencies and their respective ground stations will receive the data
China passes tough new online privacy law
Under the new rules, state-run and private companies handling personal information will be required to reduce data collection and obtain user consent.
China passes three-child policy into law
Chinese officials claim the one-child policy implemented for over three decades has prevented over 400 million births.
NATO commits to improving operations at Kabul airport
All too often over the past hours and days, planes from NATO nations have been able to get to Kabul, only to be forced to leave empty or near-empty
- The 15th Finance Commission chairman, NK Singh, has been elected as the president of the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) Society on August 16.
- He succeeds former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh who has been in the position since 1992.
- India, Asian Development Bank sign loan agreement of 500 million dollars to expand metro rail network in Bengaluru
Mohammad Azam from Karimnagar district in Telangana was awarded National Youth Award
Congressional Gold Medal
- Ahead of India’s 75th Independence Day, Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney from New York has reintroduced legislation in the US House of Representatives to posthumously award the Congressional Gold Medal to Mahatma Gandhi for his contributions made through his methods of non-violence.
- If given the award, Gandhi would become the first Indian to receive the Congressional Gold Medal, which is the highest civilian award in the US and has been awarded to the 1980 US summer Olympics team, Robert F. Kennedy, Nelson Mandela, and George Washington among many others.