- To extend help to women who lost their husbands due to pandemics, the Maharashtra government’s Women and Child Development Department have launched ‘Mission Vatsalya,’ aimed to serve around 18 benefits, schemes, services to them under one roof.
- The new program- ‘Mission Vatsalya’- has been designed for widows, especially from rural areas who come from poor backgrounds and deprived sections
Drone Rules 2021
The Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) published the UAS Rules, 2021 in March 2021. Considering various stakeholders’ feedback, the government has replaced it with liberalized Drone Rule 2021.
- Removes the requirement of security clearance for registration or issuance of licenses. Also reduces many paper works.
- The coverage of the all-up weight of an unmanned aircraft system has been increased from 300 kg to 500 kg to include heavy payload-carrying drones for use in the logistics and transportation sectors.
- It will also cover drone taxis.
- An Unmanned Aircraft Systems Promotion Council will be set up to facilitate a business-friendly regulatory regime
- Air taxis that will traverse the airspace instead of roads will be very much possible in the coming days under the drone rules
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) launched a mobile app called “Ananda mobile app” for its agents and intermediaries in order to onboard prospective customers.
- ANANDA stands for Atma Nirbhar Agents New Business Digital Application.
- ANANDA is a paperless solution for new business processes.
- This digital application will help in the onboarding process to get an insurance policy by a paperless module with the help of an agent or intermediary
- The Ministry is implementing the Samarth Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector
- The objective of the scheme is to provide demand-driven, placement-oriented skilling programs to supplement the efforts of the industry in creating employment in textile and related sectors.
- More than 1,500 artisans have been benefitted by training in 63 Samarth Training Centres.
- Tiruppur to become men’s fashion capital.
- Tiruppur, India’s knitwear city is all set to emerge as the fashion capital in gents’ wear.
- A mega program has been launched by the Tiruppur Exporters’ Association (the collective of all knitwear manufacturers in the district) in collaboration with the Union Government to train and professionalize youngsters hitherto working as laborers in knitwear units.
Water Plus states
- Three cities from the State were awarded ‘Water Plus’ certification out of a total of nine cities across the country, by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation, Vijayawada Municipal Corporation, and Tirupati Municipal Corporation, the three big urban local bodies in the State, were among them.
- Andhra Pradesh is the only state in the country to have more than one Water Plus city.
- The certification was awarded under the Swachh Bharat Mission and Swachh Survekshan assessment.
- India will boost liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports from next year as private firm Swan Energy starts its floating terminal, raising the country’s capacity to ship the super-chilled fuel by 12% to 47.5 million tonnes per annum (mtpa).
- New demand for LNG from India is expected to support Asian gas prices which rose to record highs earlier this year, partly aided by the transition from coal or oil to gas in developing countries.
- The 5-mtpa floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU), located at Jafrabad in western Gujarat, will be commissioned in April
NERDSD Goal Index Report
NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) will launch the first edition of the North Eastern Region District Sustainable Development (NERDSD) Goal Index Report and Dashboard 2021-22 on August 26, 2021
Fossil Free Steel
‘World’s first fossil-free steel’ supplied to Volvo as new hydrogen milestone claimed. Swedish steelmaker SSAB has supplied automotive group Volvo with what is claimed as the world’s first fossil-free steel, produced from iron reduced using 100% hydrogen instead of coal and coke in the process
Tropical Storm Henri (US)socked the Northeast with strong winds as it made landfall Sunday on the coast of Rhode Island and sent lashing bands of rain westward, knocking out power to over 140,000 homes and causing deluges that closed bridges, swamped roads and left some people stranded in their vehicles
- Vultures not only keep our environment free of carcasses but also help control a disease outbreak.
- The valor of Jatayu (a demi-god in the form of a vulture) in confronting Ravana is well-described in the Ramayana. The epic also mentions Sampati, Jatayu’s brother, who played an instrumental role in guiding Lord Rama towards Lanka.
- Vultures are very important scavengers in our ecosystem, yet India lost more than 95% of its vulture population through the 1990s and by the mid-2000s.
Cuba’s government said on August 26 it will recognize — and regulate — cryptocurrencies for payments on the island. The popularity of such currencies has grown among a technologically savvy group in Cuba as it has become harder to use dollars.
Ban on Britsh Stamps
Mauritius has welcomed the UN postal agency’s decision to ban British stamps from being used on the Chagos archipelago, calling it a victory for the island nation in its dispute with London.
Greater Male Connectivity Project
- Greater Male Connectivity Project will consist of a 6.74 km-long bridge and causeway link between Male and islands of Villingli, Gulhifalhu, and Thilafushi.
- The contract for the largest-ever infrastructure project in the Maldives was signed in Male.
- Indian construction giant AFCONS has been tasked with completing the project.
World Bank and Taliban
- World Bank has stopped funding for projects in Afghanistan after the Taliban seized control of the country.
- World Bank also raised concerns over how the Taliban offensive will affect development prospects in Afghanistan, especially with respect to women.
India-Kazakhstan joint training exercise ‘Kazind-21’ to begin on August 30. It will be conducted at the training node in Aisha Bibi, Kazakhstan.
Sustainable Development Impact Summit
- The World Economic Forum’s annual Sustainable Development Impact Summit will take place on September 20-23, 2021 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- This year’s event will focus strongly on inclusively revitalizing economies.
- The United Nations General Assembly, the summit convenes under the theme “Shaping an Equitable, Inclusive and Sustainable Recovery”.