In Today’s News:
- Exercise Shantir Ogroshena 2021.
- BIMSTEC meet.
1. Exercise Shantir Ogroshena 2021
Multinational Military Exercise SHANTIR OGROSHENA 2021 (Front Runner of the Peace) will be held in Bangladesh.
Prelims GS – International Relations
Exercise Shantir Ogroshena:
- Exercise Shantir Ogroshena will be held in Bangladesh to commemorate the birth centenary of Bangladesh Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and mark glorious 50 years of liberation.
- Indian Army contingent comprising of 30 personnel including Officers, JCOs, and Jawans of a Battalion from The DOGRA Regiment will participate in the exercise along with the contingent of Royal Bhutan Army, Sri Lankan Army, and Bangladesh Army from 04 Apr to 12 Apr 2021.
- The theme of the exercise is “Robust Peace Keeping Operations”.
- Military observers from the USA, UK, Turkey, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Singapore will also be in attendance throughout the exercise.
Click here to view the official PIB release.
2. BIMSTEC meet
The 17th BIMSTEC Ministerial meeting chaired by Sri Lanka was held on April 1, 2021.
Prelims GS – International Organization
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional organization comprising seven Member States lying in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity.
- This sub-regional organization came into being on 6 June 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration.
- It constitutes seven Member States:
- Sri Lanka,
- Myanmar and
- The BIMSTEC region is home to around 1.5 billion people which constitute around 22% of the global population with a combined gross domestic product (GDP) of 2.7 trillion economies.
- BIMSTEC is a sector-driven cooperative organization. Starting with six sectors—including trade, technology, energy, transport, tourism, and fisheries—for sectoral cooperation in late 1997, it expanded to embrace nine more sectors—including agriculture, public health, poverty alleviation, counter-terrorism, environment, culture, people to people contact and climate change—in 2008.
Click here to view the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.