In Today’s News:
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakaram.
- Parakram Diwas.
- Zika virus.
1. Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakaram
Information about Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakaram was given by the Union Minister for Minority Affairs in the Rajya Sabha.
Prelims GS – Governance
- The Ministry of Minority Affairs implements the Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakaram (PMJVK), in the identified Minority Concentration Areas (MCAs) of the country, with the objective to develop socio-economic assets and basic amenities in the MCAs.
- The scheme was restructured in May 2018 and areas identified for implementation of the scheme were increased from coverage of 196 districts to 308 districts which include 870 Minority Concentration Blocks, 321 Minority Concentration Towns, and 109 Minority Concentration District Headquarters.
- Priority sectors under the scheme are education, health, skill development, and women-centric projects.
Click here to view the Courtesy: official PIB release
2. Parakram Diwas
Information about Parakram Diwas was given by Minister of Culture, Shri G. Kishan Reddy in a written reply in Lok Sabha
Prelims GS – Governance
- The government of India is celebrating the 125th Birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- Inaugural function of 125th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was organized at Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata on 23rd January 2021 which was presided over by Hon’ble Prime Minister.
- A gazette notification was issued on 19th Jan 2021 on the declaration of 23rd January as Parakram Diwas every year.
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Museum has been set up at Red Fort New Delhi.
Click here to view the Courtesy: official PIB release.
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched the digital payment solution e-RUPI, a person and purpose-specific digital payment solution via video conference.
Prelims GS – Economic Development/Governance
- e-RUPI is a cashless and contactless instrument for digital payment.
- It is a QR code or SMS string-based e-Voucher, which is delivered to the mobile of the beneficiaries.
- The users of this seamless one-time payment mechanism will be able to redeem the voucher without a card, digital payments app, or internet banking access, at the service provider.
- It has been developed by the National Payments Corporation of India on its UPI platform, in collaboration with the Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, and National Health Authority.
- It can also be used for delivering services under schemes meant for providing drugs and nutritional support under Mother and Child welfare schemes, TB eradication programs, drugs & diagnostics under schemes like Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, fertilizer subsidies, etc.
- e-RUPI connects the sponsors of the services with the beneficiaries and service providers in a digital manner without any physical interface. It also ensures that the payment to the service provider is made only after the transaction is completed.
- Being pre-paid in nature, it assures timely payment to the service provider without the involvement of any intermediary.
- eRUPI voucher is going to play a huge role in making DBT more effective in digital transactions in the country and will give a new dimension to digital governance.
- This will help everyone in targeted, transparent, and leakage-free delivery.
4. Zika virus
The Union Government has sent a multi-disciplinary team to the state of Maharashtra to monitor the Zika virus situation and support the state government in controlling the spread of infection.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
- Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted primarily by Aedes mosquitoes, which bite during the day.
- No vaccine is yet available for the prevention or treatment of Zika virus infection
- Zika virus infection is also a trigger of Guillain-Barré syndrome, neuropathy, and myelitis, particularly in adults and older children.
- Zika virus is also transmitted from mother to fetus during pregnancy, through sexual contact, transfusion of blood and blood products, and organ transplantation.
- Protection against mosquito bites during the day and early evening is a key measure to prevent Zika virus infection
Click here to view the WHO official website of the Zika virus.
A group of scientists has written to the FSSAI on the negative impacts on health and livelihoods due to mandatory food fortification and warned of the adverse effects.
Prelims GS – Governance
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards, 2006.
- FSSAI has been created for laying down science-based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import to ensure the availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India is the Administrative Ministry for the implementation of FSSAI.
Click here to view the official website of FSSAI.
Mains GS2 – Governance
Functions of FSSAI:
FSSAI has been mandated by the FSS Act, 2006 for performing the following functions:
- Framing of Regulations to lay down the Standards and guidelines in relation to articles of food and specifying appropriate system of enforcing various standards thus notified.
- Laying down mechanisms and guidelines for accreditation of certification bodies engaged in certification of food safety management system for food businesses.
- Laying down procedures and guidelines for accreditation of laboratories and notification of the accredited laboratories.
- To provide scientific advice and technical support to Central Government and State Governments in the matters of framing the policy and rules in areas that have a direct or indirect bearing on food safety and nutrition.
- Collect and collate data regarding food consumption, incidence, and prevalence of biological risk, contaminants in food, residues of various, contaminants in foods products, identification of emerging risks, and introduction of the rapid alert system.
- Creating an information network across the country so that the public, consumers, Panchayats, etc receive rapid, reliable, and objective information about food safety and issues of concern.
- Provide training programs for persons who are involved or intend to get involved in food businesses.
- Contribute to the development of international technical standards for food, sanitary and phytosanitary standards.
- Promote general awareness about food safety and food standards.
Courtesy: FSSAI official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.