In Today’s News:
- Ministry of Defence approves 33 New fighter jets in deals worth Rs.38900 crore.
1. Ministry of Defence approves 33 New fighter jets in deals worth Rs.38900 crore.
The Defence Acquisition Council chaired by Shri. Rajnath Singh Ji has approved new deals worth Rs.38900 crore. Procurement of 21 MiG-29 fighter jets for the Indian Air Force (IAF), upgrade of 59 MiG-29s, and acquirement of 12 Su-30 MKI aircraft are the major deals approved. Also, the other major deals include Pinaka, Astra Beyond Visual Range air-to-air missiles for the Navy and the IAF.
Prelims GS – Internal Security
Defence Acquisition Council:(DAC)
- DAC is under the Ministry of Defence.
- DAC is responsible for giving in-principle approval to capital acquisitions in the Long term perspective plan covering a 15- year time and there are many other functions too.
Chairman of DAC: Minister of Defence (Raksha Mantri)
(Note: UPSC Prelims Expected Question about the Chairman of DAC)
- Raksha Rajya Mantri (RRMs)
- Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)
- Chief of Army Staff (COAS)
- Chief of Naval Staff (CNS)
- Chief of Air Staff (CAS)
- Defence Secretary
- Secretary Dept. of Defence Production and Supplies
- Secretary, Defence Research and Development
- Secretary, Defence Finance
- Vice Chief of Defence Staff (when appointed)/CISC Special Secretary (Acquisition)
Member Secretary: Dy. Chief of Defence Staff (PP&FD)
For further information, visit the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.