In Today’s News:
- Himalayan serow.
- Representation of the People Act 1951(RPA 1951).
1. Himalayan serow
Himalayan Serow has been spotted in Manas tiger reserve, Assam.
Prelims GS – Environment
- Himalayan Serow is a Himalayan mammal.
- Scientific Name: Capriconis Thar
- It is a new creature between goat and antelope that has been spotted in Assam.
- IUCN Red List Status: Vulnerable
- Serows prefer and occur at altitudes between 1,500-4,000 m above sea level.
2. RPA 1951
The Election Commission has announced the General Elections for the Legislative Assemblies of West Bengal, Assam, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Puducherry on 26.02.2021. The public Notice period for registration of political parties under section 29 of RPA Act 1951 has been notified by the Election Commission.
Prelims GS – Polity
Registration of Political Parties:
- Registration of political parties is governed by the provisions of section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- Part IVA of RPA 1951 deals with the Registration of Political Parties.
- A party seeking registration under the said section with the Commission has to submit an application to the Commission within a period of 30 days following the date of its formation as per guidelines prescribed by the Commission in the exercise of the powers conferred by Article 324 of the Constitution of India and Section 29A of the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- The decision of the commission shall be final.
- After an association or body has been registered as a political party as aforesaid, any change in its name, head office, office-bearers, address, or in any other material matters shall be communicated to the Commission without delay.
- As per existing guidelines, the applicant association is, inter-alia asked to publish the proposed Name of the party in two national daily newspapers and two local daily newspapers, on two days for submitting objections, if any, with regard to the proposed registration of the party before the Commission within 30 days from such publication. Notice so published is also displayed on the website of the Commission.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.