In Today’s News:
- EESL to procure electric vehicles from Tata and Hyundai.
1. EESL to procure electric vehicles from Tata and Hyundai
Energy Efficiency Services Limited will be procuring 250 electric vehicles from Tata Motor and Hyundai Motor India. These electric vehicles will be replacing current petrol/diesel vehicles of the Central and State Governments. Shift to Electric vehicles as facilitated by E-Mobility Programme will reduce the dependence on oil imports and promote power capacity addition in India.
Prelims GS – Governance/Economic Development
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is a Super Energy Service Company (ESCO), which enables consumers, industries, and governments to effectively manage their energy needs through energy-efficient technologies.
- EESL is promoted by the Ministry of Power, Government of India as a Joint Venture of four reputed public- sector undertakings NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation Limited, REC Limited, and POWERGRID Corporation of India Limited.
- EESL focuses on solution-driven innovation with no subsidy or capital expenditure (CAPEX). It is able to do so using its Pay-As-You-Save (PAYS) model, which removes the need for any upfront capital investment by the consumer.
- EESL is implementing the world’s largest energy efficiency portfolio across sectors like lighting, buildings, electric mobility, smart metering, agriculture, etc. at a scale that no organization has been able to achieve.
- EESL’s energy efficiency solutions have saved India over 47 billion kWh energy annually while reducing 36.5 million tonnes of carbon emission.
National E-Mobility Programme:
- National E-Mobility Programme was launched on 7th March 2018 by the Hon’ble Minister of Power, New and Renewable Energy.
- The objective of this program is to provide an impetus for Indian vehicle manufacturers, charging infrastructure companies, fleet operators, service providers, etc. to gain efficiencies of scale and drive down costs, create local manufacturing facilities, grow technical competencies for the long-term growth of the electric vehicle (EV) industry in India and to enable Indian EV manufacturers to emerge as major global players.
- Considering the huge market potential and aspiration of GoI to take leadership in enabling e- mobility in India, EESL has got directions from the Ministry of Power to enter the EV domain considering demand aggregation.
- Under National E-Mobility Programme, EESL has completed the procurement process of 10,000 e-cars.
- Nearly 1,514 e-cars have been deployed/under deployment for Government organizations.
- These e-cars are being given on lease/outright purchase basis to replace the existing petrol and diesel vehicles taken on lease by Government organizations.
Click here to visit the official website of EESL.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.