In Today’s News:
- Poaching has doubled during the lockdown, says Wildlife trade monitoring group.
- Serotonin triggers desert locust swarms.
- Deep-sea micro-plastics.
- Gross Value Added and economy.
1. Poaching has doubled during the lockdown, says Wildlife trade monitoring group
TRAFFIC, a leading Wildlife Trade Monitoring Group, has recently released a report. That report has found that poaching and illegal wildlife trade doubled during the lockdown. This poaching is seen to be mainly for self-consumption and meat purposes as during the lockdown many did not have a source of income.
Prelims GS – Environment
- TRAFFIC is a leading Non-Governmental Organization(NGO)
- It is a wildlife trade monitoring network
- TRAFFIC works in preventing trade in wild animals and plants at a global level
- It works in the context of preserving biodiversity conservation and promoting sustainable development.
Click here to know more about TRAFFIC on the official website
2. Serotonin triggers desert locust swarms
Generally, locusts will be in singleton state and not in a group. But during harvest, they become as swarms/groups. Serotonin is a chemical compound present in the central nervous system of Locusts which triggers desert locusts into swarms of desert locusts. Serotonin inhibitors should be used to reduce the intensity of desert locust swarms.
Prelims GS – Environment
Refer Prelims Content of Locusts on 2nd June
Mains GS3 – Environment
Refer Mains Content of Locust Control Measures on 2nd June
3. Deep-sea micro-plastics
Micro-plastics are accumulated in the Deep-sea biodiversity hotspots. This is due to the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the deep-sea organisms. This deep-sea region is known as the benthic region.
Prelims GS – Environment/Science and Technology
- Microplastics are plastics less than 5mm in length
- They are mainly found in the oceans and deep-sea
- They are harmful to our ocean and aquatic life
Microbeads (2019 Prelims question):
- Microbeads are also microplastics
- They are less than 1mm in length
- Microbeads are mostly found in cosmetic products, sun creams, etc.
- They are harmful to the marine environment
4. Gross Value Added and economy
The National Statistical Office released provisional national income estimates for the financial year 2019-2020. The report presented details about GDP and GVA. GDP expanded by 4.2% which is the slowest growth in the last 11 years. Also, the report presented GVA at basic prices.
Prelims GS – Economic Development
- Gross Domestic Product
- GDP is the total value of all finished goods and services produced within a country during a specific period
- Gross Value Added
- GVA= Value of output –value of intermediate consumption
- GVA is a measure of contribution to GDP by a producer, industry or sector
- GVA= rupee value of goods and services – the cost of inputs and raw materials
The Relation between GVA and GDP:
GDP at market prices= ∑GVA at basic prices + product taxes –subsidies
Mains GS3 – Economic Development
Applications of GVA :
- GVA helps us understand how various sectors are performing.
- It reflects the exact demand conditions in an economy and helps in making necessary policy interventions.
- Since this is a global practice in national income accounting, a country that tends to attract foreign investment needs to follow GVA to adopt best practices.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.