In Today’s News:
- IREDA signs MOU with NHPC Ltd.
- NIXI Offers free Domain in Local Indian Languages.
1. IREDA signs MOU with NHPC Ltd.
Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited, IREDA under the administrative control of Ministry of New and Renewable Energy signed a Memorandum of Understanding with NHPC Limited, the PSU under the Ministry of Power for providing its technical expertise in developing renewable energy projects.
Prelims GS – Governance
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) is a Mini Ratna (Category – I) Government of India Enterprise under the administrative control of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
- IREDA is a Public Limited Government Company established as a Non-Banking Financial Institution in 1987 engaged in promoting, developing and extending financial assistance for setting up projects relating to new and renewable sources of energy and energy efficiency/conservation with the motto: “ENERGY FOREVER”
- IREDA has been notified as a “Public Financial Institution” under section 4 ‘A’ of the Companies Act, 1956, and registered as a Non-Banking Financial Company (NFBC) with Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
The main objectives of IREDA are :
- To give financial support to specific projects and schemes for generating electricity and/or energy through new and renewable sources and conserving energy through energy efficiency.
- To maintain its position as a leading organization to provide efficient and effective financing in renewable energy and energy efficiency/conservation projects.
- To increase IREDA`s share in the renewable energy sector by way of innovative financing.
- Improvement in the efficiency of services provided to customers through continual improvement of systems, processes, and resources.
- To strive to be a competitive institution through customer satisfaction.
Click here to view the official website of IREDA.
2.NIXI Offers free Domain in Local Indian Languages
The National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) announced that it will offer a free IDN (Internationalized Domain Name) in any of their preferred 22 official Indian languages along with every IN domain booked by the registrant. This offer has been created to stimulate the adoption of भारत (IDN) domain name and proliferation of local language content.
Prelims GS – Governance/Science & Technology
- National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) is a not for profit organization working since 2003 for spreading internet technology to the citizens of India through the following activities: –
- i) Internet Exchanges through which the internet data is exchanged amongst ISPs and between ISPs and CDNs.
- ii) IN Registry, managing and operation of IN country-code domain and भारत IDN domain for India.
- iii) IRINN, managing, and operating Internet protocol (IPv4/IPv6).
Following are some basic terms related to the Internet useful for Prelims under Science & Technology Topic:
- Internet Exchange Points (IXPs) are the most critical part of the Internet’s Infrastructure.
- An Internet Exchange Point is a facility that allows Internet Service Providers to “meet” and exchange traffic, also called peering.
- This saves money on International bandwidth for the ISPs and improves connectivity for their customers by reducing latency.
- An Autonomous System (AS) is a group of IP networks operated by one or more network operator/s which has a single and clearly defined external routing policy.
- Exterior routing protocols are used to exchange routing information between Autonomous Systems.
- A public AS has a globally unique number, an Autonomous System Number (ASN), associated with it; this number is used in both the exchange of exterior routing information (between neighboring Autonomous Systems), and as an identifier of the AS itself.
- Autonomous system numbers are used by BGP to describe administrative boundaries on the Internet.
- There are two types of Autonomous System numbers; Public AS numbers and Private AS numbers.
Click here to view the official press release.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.