In Today’s News:
- Cabinet approves setting up of Public Wifi Networks.
- Cabinet approves Atmanirbhar Bharat Rozgar Yojana.
1. Cabinet approves setting up of Public Wifi Networks
Union Cabinet has approved setting up of public Wi-Fi networks to provide public Wi-Fi service through Public Data Offices without levy of any License Fee.
Prelims GS – Governance/e-Governance
Public Wifi Networks: (PM WANI)
- Public Wi-Fi Access Network Interface will be known as PM-WANI.
PM-WANI eco-system will be operated by different players as described herein under:
- Public Data Office (PDO): It will establish, maintain, and operate only WANI compliant Wi-Fi Access Points and deliver broadband services to subscribers.
- Public Data Office Aggregator (PDOA): It will be an aggregator of PDOs and perform the functions relating to Authorization and Accounting.
- App Provider: It will develop an App to register users and discover WANI compliant Wi-Fi hotspots in the nearby area and display the same within the App for accessing the internet service.
- Central Registry: It will maintain the details of App Providers, PDOAs, and PDOs. To begin with, the Central Registry will be maintained by C-DoT.
Mains GS2 – e-Governance
Benefits of Public Wifi Networks:
- Public Wifi Networks are expected to be more business-friendly and in line with efforts for ease of doing business.
- COVID-19 pandemic has necessitated delivery of stable and high-speed Broadband Internet (data) services to an increasingly large number of subscribers in the country including areas that do not have 4G mobile coverage. This can be achieved by the deployment of Public Wi-Fi.
- Further, the proliferation of public Wi-Fi will not only create employment but also enhance disposable incomes in the hands of small and medium entrepreneurs and boost the GDP of the country.
- The proliferation of Broadband Services through public Wi-Fi is a step towards digital India.
- No License Fee for providing broadband internet services using public Wi-Fi Hotspots will massively encourage its proliferation and penetration across the length and breadth of the country.
- Availability and use of Broadband will enhance incomes, employment, quality of life, ease of doing business, etc.
Click here to view the official Press Release PIB.
2. Cabinet approves setting up of Atmanirbhar Bharat Rozgar Yojana
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for Atmanirbhar Bharat RojgarYojana (ABRY) to boost employment in the formal sector and incentivize the creation of new employment opportunities during the Covid recovery phase under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Package 3.0.
Mains GS2 – Governance
Atmanirbhar Bharat Rozgar Yojana:
- Cabinet has approved an expenditure of Rs. 1,584 crore for the current financial year and Rs.22,810 crore for the entire Scheme period i.e. 2020-2023.
- The salient features of the Scheme are as under:
- The government of India will provide subsidy for two years in respect of new employees engaged on or after 1st October 2020 and up to 30th June 2021
- The government of India will pay both 12% employees’ contribution and 12% employers’ contribution i.e. 24% of wages towards EPF in respect of new employees in establishments employing up to 1000 employees for two years,
- The government of India will pay only employees’ share of EPF contribution i.e. 12% of wages in respect of new employees in establishments employing more than 1000 employees for two years.
- An employee drawing a monthly wage of less than Rs. 15000/- who was not working in any establishment registered with the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) before 1st October 2020 and did not have a Universal Account Number or EPF Member account number prior to 1st October 2020 will be eligible for the benefit,
- Any EPF member possessing Universal Account Number (UAN) drawing monthly wage of less than Rs. 15000/- who made exit from employment during Covid pandemic from 01.03.2020 to 30.09.2020 and did not join employment in any EPF covered establishment up to 30.09.2020 will also be eligible to avail benefit,
- EPFO will credit the contribution in Aadhaar seeded account of members in an electronic manner,
- EPFO shall develop software for the scheme and also develop a procedure that is transparent and accountable at their end.
- EPFO shall work out modality to ensure that there is no overlapping of benefits provided under ABRY with any other scheme implemented by EPFO.
Courtesy: Click here to view the PIB
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.