In Today’s News:
- DRDO tests Indigenously Developed Anti Radiation Missile (RUDRAM)
- Nobel Peace Prize 2020 for the UN’s World Food Programme.
1. DRDO tests Indigenously Developed Anti Radiation Missile(RUDRAM)
New generation Anti Radiation Missile (RUDRAM) was successfully flight tested on 9th October 2020 onto a radiation target located on Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha by the DRDO.
Prelims GS – Science and Technology
- RUDRAM is the first indigenous anti-radiation missile of the country for the Indian Air Force (IAF), being developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The missile is integrated on SU-30 MKI fighter aircraft as the launch platform, having the capability of varying ranges based on launch conditions.
- It has INS-GPS navigation with Passive Homing Head for the final attack.
- The RUDRAM hit the radiation target with pin-point accuracy.
- The Passive Homing Head can detect, classify, and engage targets over a wide band of frequencies as programmed.
- The missile is a potent weapon for IAF for Suppression of Enemy Air Defence effectively from large stand-off ranges.
2. Nobel Peace Prize for UN’s World Food Programme
The United Nation’s World Food Programme won the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020 for its efforts in combating hunger around the world.
Prelims GS – International Relations
UN World Food Programme:
- The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies, and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
- As the international community has committed to ending hunger, achieve food security, and improved nutrition by 2030, one in nine people worldwide still do not have enough to eat.
- Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty.
- For its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas, and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2020.
- In 2019, WFP assisted 97 million people – the largest number since 2012 – in 88 countries.
- UN WFP works in India also among the 88 countries.
- WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid, and special operations.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.