In Today’s News:
- New submarine optical fiber cable to boost internet speed in Andaman.
1. New submarine optical fiber cable to boost internet speed in Andaman
An undersea optical fiber cable of length 2300 km running from Chennai to Andaman has been launched by Hon’ble PM of India Shri. Narendra Modi on 10th August 2020. This submarine optical fiber cable would connect the Andaman with the Mainland which will help in boosting the speed of the internet in the Andaman and Nicobar islands. The Hon’ble PM also said that this would offer better and cheap connectivity to the people in the islands. He also added that the Indian Ocean and the Andaman & Nicobar Islands are important centers for trade and strategic cooperation. The Andaman & Nicobar Islands are playing an important role in India’s “Act East” policy. This undersea cable is an example of development in islands and port-led area development will be enhanced in the future.
Prelims GS – Science and Technology
Optical Fibers or Fiber optics:
- It refers to the medium and the technology associated with the transmission of information as light pulses over a glass or plastic strand or fiber.
- They are used for long-distance and high-performance data networking.
- Optical Fibers work on the principle of Total Internal Reflection.
(Note: UPSC Prelims exam – Science and Technology may check basic facts like this)
Advantages of Fiber optical cables:
- They have higher bandwidth and higher transmit speeds.
- They can be submerged in water and other risky environments.
- Fiber optics are used mostly in more risky environments like undersea cables.
- Internet and cable transmission at a faster rate is the major use or advantage of Fiber optics.
Total Internal Reflection:
When light travels from denser medium to rarer medium and is incident at an angle more than the critical angle for that medium, then it is completely reflected internally to the same denser medium itself. This complete inward reflection of light is called Total Internal Reflection.
Applications of Total Internal Reflection:
- Optical Fibers
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.