In Today’s News:
- Report of All India Survey on Higher Education(AISHE)
- Bonn challenge.
- Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil
1. Report of All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE)
Union Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ announced the release of the report of the All India Survey on Higher Education 2019-20.
Prelims GS – Governance(Education)
- All India Survey on Higher Education 2019-20 is released by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education.
- This Report provides key performance indicators on the current status of Higher education in the country.
- This report is the 10th in the series of All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) annually released by D/o Higher Education.
- The continuous rise in the enrolment, number of institutions, gender parity is a part of our country’s major move towards improving access, equity, and quality in light of National Education Policy 2020.
- The survey covers all institutions of Higher Education in the country.
- Institutions are categorized into 3 broad Categories; University, College, and Stand-Alone Institutions.
Click here to view the official report
Mains GS2 – Governance(Education)
All India Survey on Higher Education Report 2019-20 (AISHE) report findings:
- In the last five years from 2015-16 to 2019-20, there has been a growth of 11.4% in student enrolment.
- The rise in female enrolment in higher education during the period is 18.2%.
- Total Enrolment in Higher Education stands at 3.85 crores in 2019-20 as compared to 3.74 crores in 2018-19, registering a growth of 11.36 lakh (3.04 %). Total enrolment was 3.42 crore in 2014-15.
- Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER), the percentage of students belonging to the eligible age group enrolled in Higher Education, in 2019-20 is 27.1% against 26.3% in 2018-19 and 24.3% in 2014-2015.
- Gender Parity Index (GPI) in Higher Education in 2019-20 is 1.01 against 1.00 in 2018-19 indicating an improvement in the relative access to higher education for females of eligible age group compared to males.
- Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Higher Education in 2019-20 is 26.
- 3.38 crore Students enrolled in programs at under-graduate and post-graduate levels. Out of these, nearly 85% of the students (2.85 crores) were enrolled in the six major disciplines such as Humanities, Science, Commerce, Engineering & Technology, Medical Science, and IT & Computer.
- The number of students pursuing Ph.D. in 2019-20 is 2.03 lakh against 1.17 lakh in 2014-15.
- The Total Number of Teachers stands at 15,03,156 comprising 57.5% male and 42.5% female.
Click here to view the Courtesy: PIB release.
2. Bonn challenge
There is an article related to Forest restoration in the news.
Prelims GS – Environment
- The Bonn Challenge is a global goal to bring 150 million hectares of degraded and deforested landscapes into restoration by 2020 and 350 million hectares by 2030.
- Launched by the Government of Germany and IUCN in 2011, the Challenge surpassed the 150-million-hectare milestone for pledges in 2017.
Forest Landscape Restoration:
- Forest landscape restoration (FLR) is the ongoing process of restoring the ecological functionality of degraded and deforested landscapes while enhancing the well-being of people who coexist with these places.
Click here to view the official website of the Bonn Challenge.
3. Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil
As part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Ministry of Culture will hold the special ceremony at Shahjahanpur, the birthplace of Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil on 11th June 2021 to mark the birth anniversary of renowned freedom fighter Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil.
Prelims GS – History
Shaheed Ram Prasad Bismil:
- Pt. Ram Prasad Bismil, born on 11th June 1897 in Shahjahanpurwas amongst the most notable Indian revolutionaries who fought against British colonialism.
- He wrote powerful patriotic poems in Urdu and Hindi under the pen name of Bismil from age of 19.
- He formed the Hindustan Republican Association with leaders like Bhagat Singh and Chandrasekhar Azad and participated in the Mainpuri conspiracy of 1918, and the Kakori conspiracy of 1925 with Ashfaq Ullah Khan and Roshan Singh to protest against the British Rule.
- He was martyred at Gorakhpur Jail on 19th December 1927 just aged 30, for his role in the Kakori conspiracy.
- While in jail, he wrote ‘Mera Rang De Basanti Chola and ‘Sarfaroshi Ki Tamanna’ which became the anthem for freedom fighters.
Click here to view the Courtesy: official PIB release.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.