In Today’s News:
- NHRC submits reports on Human Rights in India to the UN Human Rights Council
1. NHRC submits reports on Human Rights in India to the UN Human Rights Council
The National Human Rights Commission has submitted a report on Human Rights in India to the United Nations Human Rights Council. In its report, NHRC said that the Government of India has been considering the Universal Basic Income as a method to reduce poverty and alleviate them. The report also talks about other rights such as child rights, women’s rights, and how they have been ensured and improved in India.
Prelims GS – Polity
Refer Prelims content of NHRC on 9th June
United Nations Human Rights Council: (UN HRC)
- Human Rights Council has replaced the erstwhile United Nations Commission on Human Rights.
- Human Rights Council was created by resolution 60/251 by the UN General Assembly on 15th March 2006.
- HRC is an intergovernmental body within the UN system.
- It consists of 47 member states.
- It is responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe.
- Members of the council serve for a period of 3 years.
- India is currently a member from Jan 1, 2019-Dec 31, 2021.
For more information on UN HRC, visit the official website
Mains GS2 – Polity
Refer Mains content of NHRC on 9th June
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.