In Today’s News:
- Blue flag certified beaches of India.
1. Blue flag certified beaches of India
Hon’ble Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar said that all eight beaches recommended by the Government have got the prestigious International Blue flag Certification. He also said that 8 beaches have been given blue flag certification in a single attempt.
Prelims GS – Indian Geography
(Note: Location of these places may be asked in a Match type question in Prelims Exam)
Beaches which got Blue flag Certification:
The beaches which got International Blue flag Certification are
- Shivrajpur beach in Dwarka Gujarat,
- Ghoghla beach in Diu,
- Kasargod in Karnataka
- Padubidri in Karnataka,
- Kappad in Kerala,
- Rushikonda in Andhra Pradesh,
- Golden Beach in Odisha and
- Radhanagar Beach in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Blue Flag Certification:
- The iconic Blue Flag is one of the world’s most recognized voluntary awards for beaches, marinas, and sustainable boating tourism operators.
- In order to qualify for the Blue Flag, a series of stringent environmental, educational, safety, and accessibility criteria must be met and maintained.
- The Blue Flag program is operated under the auspices of the Foundation for Environmental Education, FEE, and is headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- The mission of Blue Flag is to promote sustainability in the tourism sector, through environmental education, environmental protection, and other sustainable development practices.
- Thanks to Blue Flag and its partnerships, more than 4,500 beaches, marinas, and eco-tourism boats are concretely contributing to the sustainable development goals.
- Blue Flag also campaigns against disparity, inequality, unemployment, health threats, depletion of natural resources, environmental threats, pollution, and general environmental degradation.
Campaign related to Beach cleaning:
Swachh Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan:
- To strive to make our beaches clean and create awareness amongst citizens about the importance of coastal ecosystems, the Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) conducted a mass cleanliness-cum-awareness drive in 50 identified beaches under the “Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan”, from 11th -17th November 2019.
Major States/UTs having beaches in India:
- West coast
- East coast
- West Bengal
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Apart from this, beaches are found in the island territories of Andaman&Nicobar, Lakshadweep islands.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.