In Today’s News:
- The government of India postpones the decision on States’ GST dues till July.
- NHRC takes notice of Health Care Workers’ troubles.
1. The government of India postpones the decision on States’ GST dues till July
Due to the Corona outbreak, there was a significant reduction in the collection of GST during the months of April and May. The GST Council will be meeting in July to discuss measures regarding compensation cess and dues to the States and the possibility of borrowing money from the market to meet these dues.
Prelims GS – Economic Development/Polity
- GST was introduced by 101st Amendment act 2016
- Goods and Service Tax
- One Nation One Tax
- Removal of all indirect taxes took place and a single indirect tax GST was introduced
GST COUNCIL :
- Constitutional Body
- Art 279A deals with GST Council
- It is a joint Forum of the Centre and the States
- CHAIRPERSON: UNION FINANCE MINISTER
- Every decision of the Goods and Services Tax Council shall be taken at a meeting, by a majority of not less than three-fourths of the weighted votes of the members present and voting, in accordance with the following principles, namely: —
- the vote of the Central Government shall have a weightage of one-third of the total votes cast, and
- The votes of all the State Governments taken together shall have a weightage of two-thirds of the total votes cast, in that meeting.
Mains GS3 – Economic Development
GST Councils role in this GST regime:
- GST Council will discuss on how GST rates can be fixed.
- Different Slabs like 0%,12%,18%,28% will be fixed in the GST council.
- Help in the State Finance Ministers to have a healthy discussion on the GST as they also form a part of the GST Council.
- GST Council ensures a consultative process between the States and the Centre.
- A mechanism for adjudication is also available for solving disputes between Centre and States or between States
For more information on GST Council, visit the official website
2. NHRC takes notice of Health Care Workers’ troubles
Healthcare workers faced troubles in getting mediclaim policies. Also, they faced another issue of high premiums for mediclaim policies. The NHRC suo motu(on its own) took cognizance of these issues and sent notices to the Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India and the Union Finance Ministry to look into the issues.
Prelims GS – Polity
Refer Prelims content of NHRC on 9th June
Mains GS2 – Polity
Refer Mains content of NHRC on 9th June
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.