In Today’s News:
- India Rhino Vision 2020.
- Farthest Gamma-Ray emitting active galaxy discovered.
1. India Rhino Vision 2020
India Rhino Vision 2020 came to an ending on April 13, 2021, with the translocation of 2 rhinos from Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary to Assam’s Manas National Park. IRV 2020 is believed to have achieved its target of 3000 rhinos in Assam.
Prelims GS – Environment
- Indian Rhino Vision 2020 (IRV 2020) program was launched by the Assam Forest Department in partnership with WWF-India, the International Rhino Foundation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service in 2005.
- The program aims at increasing the number and range of rhinos in Assam through wild-to-wild translocations from Kaziranga National Park and Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary to potential Protected Areas including Manas National Park, Burachapori Wildlife Sanctuary, Laokhowa Wildlife Sanctuary, and Dibru-Saikhowa National Park.
- The vision is to attain a population of 3000 wild rhinos in Assam, distributed over seven of its Protected Areas by 2020.
- The rhinos have also been radio-collared for post-release monitoring.
- The Translocated Rhinos helped Manas National Park to regain its World Heritage Site status in 2011.
- Translocated Rhinos will set up a healthy, breeding population for the future of the rhino species.
Click here to view the Courtesy: WWF India website.
Union Commerce and Industry Minister Shri Piyush Goyal virtually inaugurated e-SANTA, an electronic marketplace providing a platform to connect aqua farmers and buyers.
Prelims GS – Economic Development
- e-SANTA refers to the Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA farmers’ Trade-in Aquaculture.
- National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA) is an extension arm of Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), Govt. of India, Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- e-SANTA will raise income, lifestyle, self-reliance, quality levels, traceability, and provide new options for our aqua farmers.
- It will enable the farmers to get a better price and the exporters to directly purchase quality products from the farmers enhancing traceability, a key factor in international trade.
- e-SANTA is a completely paperless and end-to-end electronic trade platform between Farmers and exporters.
- The platform provides detailed specifications of each product listing and it is backed by an end-to-end electronic payment system with NaCSA as an Escrow agent.
- The portal will act as a bridge between the fishermen and buyers, within the country and abroad.
Click here to view the official PIB release.
3. Farthest Gamma-Ray emitting active galaxy discovered
Astronomers have discovered a new active galaxy identified as the farthest gamma-ray emitting galaxy.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
Gamma Ray emitting active galaxy:
- An active galaxy called the Narrow-Line Seyfert 1 (NLS1) galaxy has been discovered as the farthest gamma-ray emitting galaxy.
- NLS1 galaxy is about 31 billion light-years away.
- This opens up avenues to explore more such gamma-ray-emitting galaxies.
- For the research, the scientists used one of the largest ground-based telescopes in the world, the 8.2 m Subaru Telescope located in Hawaii, USA.
- They helped establish a new method to find high redshift NLS1 galaxies that were not known previously by comparing different emission lines in their spectra.
- The new gamma-ray emitting NLS1 was formed when the Universe was only about 4.7 billion years old as compared to its current age of about 13.8 billion years.
Click here to view the Courtesy: Official PIB release.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.