In Today’s News:
- Status Quo on LAC.
1. Status Quo on LAC
Status Quo on Line of Actual Control(LAC) in Eastern Ladakh has been ensured after Hon’ble External Affairs Minister Shri. Jaishankar and his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi met in Moscow on September 10. The official said that there has been a visible reduction in movements and activities of China on the North and South banks of Pangong Tso Lake after the meeting.
Prelims GS – International Relations/Internal Security/Geography
Line of Actual Control(LAC):
Click here to view about LAC on 8th June 2020.
Pangong Tso Lake:
- Pangong Tso Lake is in Ladakh.
- Pangong Lake, situated at a height of almost 4,350m, is the world’s highest saltwater lake.
- Its water, which seems to be dyed in blue, stands in stark contrast to the arid mountains surrounding it.
- Extending to almost 160km, one-third of the Pangong Lake lies in India and the other two-thirds in China.
- Pangong Lake, one of the most famous lakes in Leh Ladakh, derives its name from the Tibetan word, “Pangong Tso”, which means “high grassland lake”.
Click here to know more about Pangong Tso Lake in the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.