In Today’s News:
- FASTag mandatory from today.
- LRSAM missiles.
1. FASTag mandatory from today
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has decided that all lanes in the fee plazas on National Highways shall be declared as “FASTag lane of the fee plaza” w.e.f midnight of 15th/16th February 2021.
Prelims GS – Governance/Science and Technology
NETC and FASTag:
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has developed the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program to meet the electronic tolling requirements of the Indian market.
- It offers an interoperable nationwide toll payment solution including clearinghouse services for settlement and dispute management.
- Interoperability, as it applies to National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) system, encompasses a common set of processes, business rules, and technical specifications that enable a customer to use their FASTag as a payment mode on any of the toll plazas irrespective of who has acquired the toll plaza.
- FASTag is a device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly while the vehicle is in motion.
- FASTag (RFID Tag) is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and enables a customer to make the toll payments directly from the account which is linked to FASTag.
- The toll fare is directly deducted from the linked account of the customer.
- FASTag is also vehicle specific and once it is affixed to a vehicle, it cannot be transferred to another vehicle.
- FASTag can be purchased from any of the NETC Member Banks.
- FASTag offers the convenience of cashless payment along with benefits like – savings on fuel and time as the customer does not has to stop at the toll plaza.
Click here to know more about FASTag.
2. LRSAM missiles
The final production batch of Long Range Surface to Air Missiles (LRSAM), designed and developed by DRDO in collaboration with various industry partners and integrated by BDL, was flagged off on 14 Feb 2021 at DRDL, APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex, Hyderabad in the presence of Dr. G Satheesh Reddy, Secretary, DDR&D and Chairman DRDO and Rear Admiral V Rajasekhar, VSM Director, Defence Machine Design Establishment ( DMDE).
Prelims GS – Science and Technology
- LRSAM is jointly developed by DRDO and IAI Israel to equip the latest ships of the Indian Navy.
- This LRSAM Missile system can provide point and area defense against various aerial targets including fighter aircraft, subsonic & supersonic cruise missiles.
- The Missile is powered by an indigenously developed dual-pulse rocket motor and dual control system to impart required maneuverability at the terminal phase.
- This state of art weapon system is designed with an active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker to identify, track, engage and destroy the target with high kill probability.
- LRSAM system end to end performance has been successfully demonstrated through a number of user flight trials from Indian Naval ships.
- This weapon system has been successfully produced and has been delivered to the Indian Navy.
Click here to view the official PIB release on LRSAM missiles.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.