In Today’s News:
- India looks to deploy Naval Liaisons.
- Opposition for Monkey Park Plan in Karnataka.
1. India looks to deploy Naval Liaisons
India has recently joined the Indian Ocean Commission as an Observer. So, India is looking to post Navy Liaison Officers in Madagascar and Abu Dhabi for Information Exchange. Navy Liaison Officer will be the communication officer for exchanging information regarding maritime matters.
Prelims GS – International Relations
Indian Ocean Commission: (IOC)
- IOC is an intergovernmental organization created in 1982 and a regional forum in the SouthWest Indian Ocean.
- Secretariat: Mauritius
- Members of IOC:
- Reunion Islands
- Observers of IOC:
- European Union
- French Union (OIF)
- India ( became an observer in March 2020)
2. Opposition for Monkey Park Plan in Karnataka
To solve the menace of monkeys raiding the agricultural fields, Karnataka govt has planned to construct a monkey park. But the location in which they have thought to construct monkey park faces severe opposition from environmentalists as well as the local village people. They oppose the project due to the fear of diseases from Monkeys like Kyasanur Forest Disease.
Prelims GS – Science and Technology
Kyasanur Forest Disease: (KFD)
- KFD is caused by a virus.
- It was first identified in 1957 in Karnataka forest
- It spreads mostly from the bite of monkeys or even from the bite of infected animals that were in contact with those monkeys.
- Symptoms: Fever, Headache, Vomiting, etc.
- No specific treatment.
Mains GS3 – Science and Technology
Prevention of KFD virus:
- A vaccine is available for the KFD viral disease.
- Use Insect repellants
- Wear Protective clothing in areas of this disease.
- Spray insecticides in and around the areas of dead monkeys.
For more information on Kyasanur Forest Disease, visit the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.