In Today’s News:
- National Digital Health Mission.
- Swarming of locusts.
1. National Digital Health Mission
Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri. Narendra Modi in his Independence day speech on August 15, unveiled the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM).
Prelims GS – Governance
National Digital Health Mission:
- Under this mission, every Indian will get a Health ID card.
- All visits to the hospital, pharmacy everything will be logged in that card.
- From the doctor’s appointment to medication, everything will be available in the Health Profile.
- The National Health Authority, an attached office of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare which runs the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, would design, build, roll-out and implement the NDHM.
- The enrollment in the initiative is voluntary.
- NDHM will reduce the gap among doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare providers and it will connect all the stakeholders in integrated digital health infrastructure.
- Citizens are now freed from the challenges of finding the right doctors, seeking appointments, paying consultation fees, and making several rounds of hospitals for prescription sheets.
- It seeks to provide efficient and affordable health coverage through a wide range of data and infrastructure services.
2. Swarming of locusts
Climate change and exceptionally heavy rains have resulted in the population explosion of swarms of desert locusts (Schistocerca gregaria) in Africa and West Asia.
(Note: Remember the species name. In the UPSC civil service exams, you may get the species name and you may be asked ‘it is related to’ type of questions)
Prelims GS – Environment
Refer to the Harmful effects of Locusts on 2nd June 2020.
Mains GS3 – Environment
Refer to the Locust control measures on 2nd June 2020.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.