In Today’s News:
- Van Dhan Yojana helps tribals beat odds.
- NCW records spike in domestic violence amidst lockdown.
1. Van Dhan Yojana helps tribals beat odds
Before the introduction of Van Dhan Yojana, tribals in Nagaland were finding it difficult to make hill brooms and they could not sell the products made by them easily. Van Dhan Yojana helps tribals to sell Minor Forest Produce like Mahua, wild honey, hill brooms, etc., and tribals got avenues to sell their product after partnering with TRIFED (Tribal Cooperative Marketing Federation of India). Van Dhan Vikas Kendras helped the tribal people and empowered them to make their own brooms. The hill broom story is one of the success stories of Van Dhan Yojana which has helped tribals overcome their odds in life.
Prelims GS – Polity/Social Justice
Van Dhan Yojana:
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and was launched in 2018.
- Van Dhan scheme seeks to improve tribal incomes through value addition of tribal products through harnessing the wealth of forests.
- Nodal Agency: TRIFED at national level
Mains GS2 – Polity/Social Justice
Key Highlights of Van Dhan Scheme:
- Minor Forest Produce(MFP) is a major source of livelihood for the tribal people. Enhancing Minor Forest Produce and empowering tribals to sell Minor Forest Produce is the major motive of Van Dhan Yojana.
- Self Help Groups(SHG) at the unit level, they aggregate the produce and they undertake primary value addition to the produce. They form a group known as Van Dhan Vikas Samuh.
- Van Dhan Vikas Samuh will have different facilities. They have good infrastructure, packaging tools, and fully equipped training facilities.
- Van Dhan Vikas Kendra is nothing but a cluster of 10 such SHGs within the same village. They have some more facilities and help in more such value addition.
- Van Dhan Vikas Kendras help tribals who collect MFPs with optimum utilization of natural resources and provide sustainable MFP-based livelihood.
- Thus, Van Dhan Vikas Yojana and Van Dhan Vikas Kendras help in the economic development of tribals.
For more information on Van Dhan Vikas Yojana, visit the official website.
2. NCW records spike in Domestic violence amidst lockdown
During the COVID-19 lockdown, there was a spike in the cases of domestic violence. The National Commission for Women received many complaints regarding domestic violence. There are many laws to stop domestic violence in India.
Prelims GS – Polity/Governance
National Commission for Women:(NCW)
- NCW is a statutory body established by the National Commission for Women Act, 1990.
- The mission of NCW is to empower women to achieve equality and equal participation in all spheres of life.
- NCW protects and promotes the interests of women in India.
Mains GS2 – Polity/Governance
List of laws related to women:
The following are some of the laws which help women from exploitation in society:
- The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956
- The Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961
- The Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986
- The Commission of Sati (Prevention) Act, 1987 (3 of 1988)
- Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005
- The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (PREVENTION, PROHIBITION, and REDRESSAL) Act, 2013
- The Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013
Refer these laws to know more about women-specific legislations.
For more information on NCW and women-specific laws, visit the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.