In Today’s News:
- Enforcement Directorate and FEMA.
- G7 summit.
1. Enforcement Directorate and FEMA
The Enforcement Directorate has arrested Chinese nationals for money laundering.
(Note: The news is not important for the exam.)
Prelims GS – Governance
- Directorate of Enforcement is a specialized financial investigation agency under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, which enforces the following laws: –
- FEMA and PMLA
FEMA and PMLA:
- Foreign Exchange Management Act,1999 (FEMA) – A Civil Law, with officers empowered to conduct investigations into suspected contraventions of the Foreign Exchange Laws and Regulations, adjudicate contraventions and impose penalties on those adjudged to have contravened the law.
- Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA) – A Criminal Law, with the officers empowered to conduct investigations to trace assets derived out of the proceeds of crime, to provisionally attach/ confiscate the same, and to arrest and prosecute the offenders found to be involved in Money Laundering.
Mains GS2 – Governance
Functions of ED:
The main functions of ED are:
- Investigate contraventions of the provisions of Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999(FEMA) which came into force with effect from 1.6.2000. Contraventions of FEMA are dealt with by way of adjudication by designated authorities of ED and penalties up to three times the sum involved can be imposed.
- Investigate offences of money laundering under the provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002(PMLA) which came into force with effect from 1.7.2005 and to take actions of attachment and confiscation of property if the same is determined to be proceeds of crime derived from a Scheduled Offence under PMLA, and to prosecute the persons involved in the offence of money laundering. There are 156 offences under 28 statutes which are Scheduled Offences under PMLA.
- Adjudicate Show Cause Notices issued under the repealed Foreign Exchange Regulation Act, 1973 (FERA) upto 31.5.2002 for the alleged contraventions of the Act which may result in imposition of penalties. Pursue prosecutions launched under FERA in the concerned courts.
- Processing cases of fugitive/s from India under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act, 2018. The objective of this Act is to provide for measures to deter fugitive economic offenders from evading the process of law in India by staying outside the jurisdiction of Indian Courts and to preserve the sanctity of the rule of law in India.
- Sponsor cases of preventive detention under Conservation of Foreign Exchange and Prevention of Smuggling Activities Act, 1974(COFEPOSA) in regard to contraventions of FEMA.
- Render cooperation to foreign countries in matters relating to money laundering and restitution of assets under the provisions of PMLA and to seek cooperation in such matters.
Click here to view the official website of the Enforcement Directorate.
2. G7 summit
UK has invited the Hon’ble PM of India Shri.Narendra Modi for the G7 summit which is to be held in June.
Prelims GS – International Relations
- G7 is an International Intergovernmental group of countries.
- It consists of the 7 largest advanced economies of the World as members. They are,
- India is not a member of G7.
- 45th G7 summit was held in Biarritz, France, and Hon’ble PM of India Shri. Narendra Modi attended the meeting as a special invitee to the G7 summit.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.