In Today’s News:
- Hon’ble PM of India attended the high-level dialogue of the UN ECOSOC Virtual meet.
1. Hon’ble PM of India attended the high-level dialogue of the UN ECOSOC Virtual meet
Hon’ble Prime Minister of India Shri. Narendra Modi addressed the high-level dialogue of the UN Economic and Social Council(UN ECOSOC) on “Multilateralism after COVID-19. What kind of UN do we need at the 75th anniversary?”. The PM addressed the ECOSOC gathering virtually, along with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg, and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi. PM said that the multilateral system needed to be more representative, and India believed that “the path to achieving sustainable peace and prosperity” was through multilateralism. The PM said that “Only reformed multilateralism with a reformed United Nations at its center can meet the aspirations of humanity.”
(Note: Multilateralism refers to an alliance of multiple countries pursuing a common goal with cooperation among all world countries and governments. Unilateralism refers to aligning to one particular country)
Prelims GS – International Relations
- The United Nations Economic and Social Council is at the heart of the United Nations system to advance the three dimensions of sustainable development – economic, social, and environmental.
- It is the central platform for fostering debate and innovative thinking, forging consensus on ways forward, and coordinating efforts to achieve internationally agreed goals.
- It is also responsible for the follow-up to major UN conferences and summits.
- The UN Charter established ECOSOC in 1945 as one of the six main organs of the United Nations.
- ECOSOC brings people and issues together to promote collective action for a sustainable world.
For more information on UN ECOSOC, visit the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.