In Today’s News:
- Eudiscopus Denticulus bat
1. Eudiscopus Denticulus bat
Scientists have discovered a new variety of bat species in Meghalaya.
Prelims GS – Environment
- India’s first bamboo dwelling bat has been found in Meghalaya near Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary.
- This bat has sticky discs and is known as Eudiscopus Denticulus.
- It is a rare species and generally found in Southeast Asian countries like Laos, Myanmar, etc.
- IUCN Status: Least Concern
- Meghalaya’s bat count is the highest for any state in India.
- This disc footed bat is different from other species of bat and the very high-frequency echolocation calls suggest that the bat is suitable for dwelling in bamboo groves.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.