In Today’s News:
- TRIFED and IFFDC sign an MOU for tribal livelihood generation.
1. TRIFED and IFFDC sign an MOU for tribal livelihood generation.
TRIFED and Indian Farm Forestry Development Co-operative Ltd (IFFDC) have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on January 18, 2021, to work together for tribal livelihood generation.
Prelims GS – Governance
- TRIFED was established in August 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India as a National level Cooperative body.
- Under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, TRIFED is mandated to ringing about the socio-economic development of tribals of the country by institutionalizing the trade of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) & Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/ cultivated by them.
- TRIFED plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider, empowering them with knowledge and tools to better their operations in a systematic, scientific manner and also assist them in developing their marketing approach.
- TRIFED is involved actively in the capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- TRIFED is engaged in training the tribals in several activities so that they can effectively carry them out.
- TRIFED, as the nodal agency working for the empowerment of tribals, is focusing its efforts on finding new ways to improve the lives and the livelihoods of the tribal people
- Indian Farm Forestry Development Cooperative Limited (IFFDC) came into existence formally in 1993 although its work had begun in 1986-87.
- Its promoter, Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited (IFFCO), had launched programs of eco-restoration and wasteland development through farm forestry in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, and Rajasthan, and these programs were subsequently handed over to the IFFDC for being scaled up and integrated with rural livelihood development and poverty alleviation programs in the country.
- IFFDC has diversified its portfolio and has broadened its focus to include in addition to Farm Forestry and Climate Change, activities such as Watershed Management, Climate Proofing, Nutritional and Economic Security, Livelihoods, CSR initiative, Cross-Cutting Interventions, Seed Production, and Agri-Input Supply, etc.
- This has been done by adopting approaches that are participatory in nature and designed to cater to the emerging and evolving needs of the community.
- With its presence in more than 9,514 villages across 19 States covering all the agro-climatic zones, it has so far implemented rural development projects worth more than Rs. 300 crore.
- With the objective to increase crop production & productivity, IFFDC is also undertaking a Seed Production and Marketing Programme to provide quality seed and also supplying quality agri-inputs to farmers.
- IFFDC was registered on 22nd October 1993 by the Department of Agriculture & Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India as a Multi-State Cooperative Society Under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies (MSCS) Act, 1984 (subsequently under the MSCS Act 2002).
Courtesy: Click here to view the official website of IFFDC.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.