In Today’s News:
- Drug smuggling check by Women Soldiers through LOC.
1.Drug smuggling check by Women Soldiers through LOC.
Women soldiers are combating the smuggling of narcotics across the Line of Control(LOC). Riflewomen of Assam were deployed at Sadhna Pass to contain the smuggling of narcotics.
Prelims GS – Indian Geography/Internal Security
- Sadhna Pass is a mountain pass in Jammu And Kashmir.
- It is located in the Himalayas and connects Karnah tehsil of Kupwara district with the rest of the Indian administrated Kashmir valley.
- It is located in the vast Shams Bri mountainous range.
- It is about 3000 m above sea level.
- The pass is best known for its generation-old mythological legend of Blind and Deaf Fairies.
Click here to know more about Sadhna pass.
Line of Control(LOC):
- Line of Control (LoC) is 740 km long and runs from parts of Jammu to parts of Leh.
- Line of Control is a ceasefire line that came into existence after the 1948 and 1971 wars between India and Pakistan.
- It was delineated in the Simla Agreement (July 1972) whereby both sides agreed not to alter it unilaterally.
Shimla Agreement 1972:
- The Simla Agreement signed by Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and President Zulfikar Ali Bhutto of Pakistan on 2nd July 1972 was much more than a peace treaty seeking to reverse the consequences of the 1971 war (i.e. to bring about withdrawals of troops and an exchange of PoWs).
- It was a comprehensive blueprint for good neighborly relations between India and Pakistan.
- Under the Simla Agreement, both countries undertook to abjure conflict and confrontation which had marred relations in the past, and to work towards the establishment of durable peace, friendship and cooperation.
Click here to know more about Simla Agreement 1972.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.