In Today’s News:
- DRDO develops Supplemental Oxygen Delivery System.
- Startup India Seed Fund Scheme.
1. DRDO develops Supplemental Oxygen Delivery System
Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation) supplemental Oxygen Delivery System for soldiers.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
SpO2 Supplemental Oxygen Delivery System:
- SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation) supplemental Oxygen Delivery System has been developed for soldiers posted at extreme high-altitude areas.
- Developed by Defence Bio-Engineering & Electro Medical Laboratory (DEBEL), Bengaluru of DRDO, the system delivers supplemental oxygen based on the SpO2 levels and prevents the person from sinking into a state of Hypoxia, which is fatal in most cases, if sets in.
- This automatic system can also prove to be a boon during the current Covid-19 situation.
- SpO2 refers to the percentage of blood oxygen saturation.
- The system reads the SpO2 levels of the subject from a wrist-worn pulse oximeter module through the wireless interface and controls a proportional solenoid valve to regulate the oxygen supply to the subject.
- The oxygen is delivered from a lightweight portable oxygen cylinder through nasal nares.
Usage of the device for COVID patients to prevent Hypoxia:
- Hypoxia is a state in which the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues is inadequate to fulfill all the energy requirements of the body.
- This is exactly the situation that gets replicated in a Covid patient due to the virus infection and has been a leading factor in the current crisis.
- The automatic usage of this system has a huge advantage in the household, as the oximeter would give an alarm for lower SpO2 value.
- It will automatically increase/decrease the O2 flow based on the SpO2 setting which can be auto-adjusted at 2, 5, 7, 10 lpm flow rate.
- The optimal O2 flow rate conserves the O2 resources/O2 management and greatly increases endurance.
Click here to view the Courtesy: Official PIB release.
2. Startup India Seed Fund Scheme
Minister of Railways, Commerce & Industry, Consumer Affairs, and Food & Public Distribution Shri PiyushGoyal launched the Startup India Seed Fund Scheme (SISFS) on 19.4.2021.
Prelims GS – Governance/Economic Development
- SISFS refers to the Startup India Seed Fund Scheme.
- It is essential to provide seed funding to startups with an innovative idea to conduct proof of concept trials.
- The Startup India Seed Fund Scheme aims to provide financial assistance to startups for proof of concept, prototype development, product trials, market entry, and commercialization.
- This would enable these startups to graduate to a level where they will be able to raise investments from angel investors or venture capitalists or seek loans from commercial banks or financial institutions.
- Rs. 945 Crore corpus will be divided over the next 4 years for providing seed funding to eligible startups through eligible incubators across India.
Mains GS3 – Economic Development
Significance of SISFS:
- SISFS will Secure seed funding, Inspire innovation, Support transformative ideas, Facilitate implementation, and Start a startup revolution.
- This Scheme will create a robust startup ecosystem, particularly in Tier 2 and Tier 3 towns of India, which are often deprived of adequate funding.
- This fund will help the startups which act as a backbone of New India as these innovators have changed their mindset from Job seekers to Job providers.
- Startup India Seed Fund Scheme will act as a bridge between ideas and their implementation.
- Independent & ambitious thinking in the Startup ecosystem will encourage entrepreneurship and create a culture that will recognize innovation.
- The Seed Fund Scheme also envisions promoting virtual incubation for startups by enabling 300 incubators to support startups from all corners of the country.
- The impact of this fund will be visible by the spur of innovations in tier 2 and tier 3 regions of India.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.