In Today’s News:
- India attends the FATF group meet online.
- NGT inspects football ground in Kerala.
- Skeletal remains of a child found at Tamilnadu’s Keezhadi Excavation site.
1. India attends the FATF group meet online
Indian officials attended the virtual meeting of 32nd Eurasian Group on Combating Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism (EAG) under the aegis of FATF.
Prelims GS – International Relations
- Financial Action Task Force
- FATF is the watchdog of global money laundering and terrorist financing.
- FATF is an inter-governmental body and was established by the G-7 summit held in Paris in 1989.
- There are 39 members in FATF. India is a member of FATF.
- Besides these, there are associate members and observer organizations.
- It has some important associate members like Eurasian Group on Combating Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism (EAG ), Asia-Pacific Group on Money Laundering (APG), etc.
EAG : (Note: Our News Topic today)
- Eurasian Group was established in 2004 in Moscow with the support of FATF, IMF, World Bank, and several other countries.
- The EAG objective is to incorporate these countries into the global system on anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT).
- EAG is an associate member of FATF.
Members of EAG:
For more information on FATF, visit the official website.
2. NGT inspects football ground in Kerala
A football ground was constructed in Periyar Tiger Reserve without permission. So, NGT ordered for inspection in that football ground. District Collector of Idukki who is a member of the NGT committee visited the football ground and said that he would send a report to the NGT for further actions.
Prelims GS – Polity/Environment
Refer for the Prelims content of NGT in Gas leak case on 4th June 2020.
3. Skeletal remains of a child found at Tamilnadu Keezhadi Excavation site
The sixth phase of ongoing excavations revealed the skeletal remains of a child in Keezhadi in Sivagangai District, Tamilnadu. A gold coin of 17th-century origin was found in the excavation.
Prelims GS – History
- Keezhadi is a place in the Sivagangai district of Tamilnadu.
- Artifacts unearthed from Keezhadi depicted an ancient civilization that thrived on the banks of River Vaigai.
- Carbon dating of the charcoal found in Keezhadi pointed out that the civilization belonged to 200 B.C.
- This shows that this was an urban civilization that existed from the Sangam Age.
- The items unearthed from the Keezhadi site were decorative pots, antiquities, etc.
- TN Government is planning to construct a museum in the Keezhadi site.
For more information on Keezhadi and excavations, visit the official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.