In Today’s News:
- National Internet Exchange of India(NIXI)
1. National Internet Exchange of India(NIXI)
National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) celebrated its 18th Foundation Day on 19.6.2021.
Prelims GS – Governance
- NIXI refers to the National Internet Exchange of India.
- NIXI is a not for profit Organization under section 8 of the Companies Act 2013 and was registered on 19th June 2003
- NIXI is the first Internet Exchange in the country.
- It facilitates the peering of Internet Service Providers(ISPs) among themselves for the purpose of routing the domestic traffic within the country, instead of taking it all the way to the US/Abroad, thereby resulting in a better quality of service and reduced bandwidth charges for ISPs by saving international currency on International Bandwidth.
- NIXI is also the.IN Registry managing India’s country code top-level domain (ccTLD) – .IN.
- NIXI also manages the National Internet Registry of the country delegating Internet Protocol addresses (IPv4 and IPv6) and Autonomous System numbers to the Indian Affiliates.
- National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) is working since 2003 for spreading internet technology to the citizens of India through the following activities:
- i) Internet Exchanges through which the internet data is exchanged amongst ISPs and CDNs.
- ii).IN Registry, managing, and operation of.IN country-code domain and. भारत IDN domain for India.
- iii) IRINN, managing and operating Internet protocol (IPv4/IPv6).
There is a piece of political news related to NATO and its plan to take a stronger position towards China
Prelims GS – World News/International Organizations
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is an alliance of 30 countries from North America and Europe committed to fulfilling the goals of the North Atlantic Treaty signed on 4 April 1949.
- In accordance with the Treaty, the fundamental role of NATO is to safeguard the freedom and security of its member countries by political and military means.
- NATO is playing an increasingly important role in crisis management and peacekeeping.
- Any European country in a position to further the principles of the Washington Treaty and contribute to security in the Euro-Atlantic area can become a member of the Alliance at the invitation of the North Atlantic Council.
- The two official languages of NATO are English and French.
- India is not a part of the NATO alliance.
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium.
Click here to view the official website of NATO.
The World Health Organization officially announced the end of Guinea’s second Ebola outbreak.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
- Ebola virus disease (EVD), formerly known as Ebola hemorrhagic fever, is a rare but severe, often fatal illness in humans.
- The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.
- The Ebola virus causes an acute, serious illness that is often fatal if untreated.
- EVD first appeared in 1976 in 2 simultaneous outbreaks, one in what is now Nzara, South Sudan, and the other in Yambuku, DRC. The latter occurred in a village near the Ebola River, from which the disease takes its name.
- The 2014–2016 outbreak in West Africa was the largest Ebola outbreak since the virus was first discovered in 1976. The outbreak started in Guinea and then moved across land borders to Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- It is thought that fruit bats of the Pteropodidae family are natural Ebola, virus hosts.
- Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals such as fruit bats, chimpanzees, gorillas, monkeys, forest antelope or porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.
- Symptoms of EVD can be sudden and include:
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Two monoclonal antibodies (Inmazeb and Ebanga) were approved for the treatment of Zaire ebolavirus (Ebolavirus) infection in adults and children by the US Food and Drug Administration in late 2020.
Click here to know more about the Ebola virus on the WHO official website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.