In Today’s News:
- Information Fusion Centre.
- Inclusion of Four indigenous sports in Khelo India Youth Games 2021.
1. Information Fusion Centre
India is planning to bring in more nations to the coastal radar chain network to enable real-time monitoring of high seas for threats as well as to expand India’s assistance for capacity building in the Indian Ocean Littoral states. Liaison officers are soon expected to join IFC-IOR.
Prelims GS – Internal Security
Information Fusion Centre – Indian Ocean Region:(IFC-IOR)
- The IFC-IOR stems from the importance of the Indian Ocean to world trade and security, and the need for the various maritime nations and organizations to collaborate towards enhancing maritime safety and security on the seas of this region.
- IFC-IOR helps in promoting Maritime Domain Awareness.
- The IFC has been established at Gurugram, India, and is collocated with the Information Management and Analysis Centre which is jointly administered by the Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard.
- IFC-IOR is established with the vision of strengthening maritime security in the region and beyond, by building a common coherent maritime situation picture and acting as a maritime information hub for the region.
- The establishment of IFC- IOR would ensure that the entire region is benefitted from mutual collaboration and exchange of information and understanding the concerns and threats which are prevalent in the region.
- The Information Exchange at the IFC-IOR would be initially undertaken by virtual means, using telephone calls, faxes, emails, and video conferencing over the internet.
- Subsequently, to enable better interconnection, quicker analysis of information, and provide timely inputs, the IFC-IOR would host Liaison Officers from partner countries.
- Additionally, towards enhancing capability building, the IFC-IOR would undertake the conduct of exercises and training capsules in maritime information collection and sharing.
- The setting up of IFC-IOR underscores the governmental approach and effort in line with the vision of our Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi towards Security and Growth of All in the Region (SAGAR).
Click here to know more about IFC-IOR on the official website.
2. Inclusion of Four Indigenous sports in Khelo India Youth Games 2021.
The Ministry of Sports has approved the inclusion of four indigenous Games to be a part of the Khelo India Youth Games 2021, scheduled to take place in Haryana. The games include Gatka, Kalaripayattu, Thang-Ta, and Mallakhamba.
Prelims GS – Governance/Art and Culture
- The Khelo India program has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establish India as a great sporting nation.
- Khelo India is the National Program for the Development of Sports.
- Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by the High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of INR 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- The 12 verticals under Khelo India Program are as follows:
- Play Field Development
- Utilization and Creation/ Upgradation of Sports Infrastructure
- Sports for Peace and Development
- State Level Khelo India Centers
- Annual Sports Competitions
- Talent Search and Development
- Sports for Women
- Support to National/Regional/State Sports Academies
- Promotion of Sports among persons with disabilities
- Promotion of rural and indigenous/tribal games
- Physical Fitness of School going Children
- Community Coaching Development
Click here to know more about Khelo India.
Background of Four indigenous sports:
- Kalaripayattu has its origin in Kerala and has practitioners all over the world.
- Mallakhamba has been well-known across India and Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra have been the hotspots of this sport.
- Gatka originates from Punjab and this traditional fighting style of the Nihang Sikh Warriors is used both as self-defense as well as a sport.
- Thang-Ta is a Manipur martial art.
Click here to view the PIB official release on the inclusion of four indigenous sports.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.