In Today’s News:
- NISHTHA capacity building.
- Black softshell turtle.
1. NISHTHA capacity building
120 Eklavya Model Residential School teachers and principals from 3 states completed a 40 days’ NISHTHA-National initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement Program, a national flagship program of NCERT on 19th June 2021.
Click here to view the official PIB release.
Prelims GS – Governance
- NISHTHA refers to the National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement
- NISHTHA is a capacity-building program for “Improving Quality of School Education through Integrated Teacher Training”.
- NISHTHA program comes under the Ministry of Education.
- The aim of this training is to motivate and equip teachers to encourage and foster critical thinking in students, handle diverse situations and act as first-level counselors.
- It aims to build competencies among all the teachers and school principals at the elementary stage.
- The functionaries (at the state, district, block, cluster level) shall be trained in an integrated manner on learning outcomes, school-based assessment, learner-centered pedagogy, new initiatives in education, addressing diverse needs of children through multiple pedagogies, etc.
Click here to know more on the official website of NISHTHA.
Public Wi-Fi, provided under the brand name of RailWire, is available at 15 stations of the UT of Kashmir.
Click here to view the PIB release.
Prelims GS – Governance
- RailTel was entrusted by the Ministry of Railways to provide public Wi-Fi at all the Railway stations.
- With a mission of turning Railway stations into platforms for Digital inclusion, RailTel has provided state-of-the-art public Wi-Fi under the brand name Railwire.
- This is one of the largest and fastest public Wi-Fi networks in the world.
- Passengers can use this facility for streaming High Definition (HD) Videos, download movies, songs, games, and do their offices work online within the station premises.
- RailWire Wi-Fi at stations is helping to connect the unconnected as more than 5000 stations of this public Wi-Fi network are located in rural India with poor connectivity.
Click here to view the official website.
- RailTel, a “Mini Ratna (Category-I)” Central Public Sector Enterprise is an ICT provider and one of the largest neutral telecom infrastructure providers in the country owning a Pan-India optic fiber network on exclusive Right of Way (ROW) along Railway track.
- The OFC network covers important towns & cities of the country and several rural areas.
Click here to view the official website of RailTel.
3. Black softshell turtle
An MOU was signed between a Hayagriva Madhava Temple in Assam with 2 Green NGOs, the Assam State Zoo-cum-Botanical Garden, and the Kamrup district administration regarding the conservation of Black softshell turtle.
Prelims GS – Environment
Black softshell turtle:
- Scientific name: Nilssonia Nigricans
- IUCN Red List Status: Critically endangered (listed in 2021 previously it was considered Extinct in the Wild)
- It is a species of freshwater turtle.
- It is commonly found in the temple ponds of Northeastern India mainly Assam and Bangladesh
- It does not enjoy legal protection under the Wildlife Protection Act 1972.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.