In Today’s News:
In the wake of COVID second wave, Remdesivir is mentioned in the news almost daily.
Prelims GS – Governance(Health)
- Remdesivir injection is used to treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19 infection) caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus in hospitalized adults and children 12 years of age and older who weigh at least 88 pounds (40 kg).
- Remdesivir is in a class of medications called antivirals.
- It works by stopping the virus from spreading in the body.
- Remdesivir is an intravenous nucleotide prodrug of an adenosine analog.
- Remdesivir binds to the viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and inhibits viral replication through premature termination of RNA transcription.
- It has demonstrated in vitro activity against SARS-CoV-2.
- Remdesivir is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of COVID-19
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.