In Today’s News:
- COVIRAP Device – ICMR approves.
1. COVIRAP Device – ICMR approves
Indian Council of Medical Research has approved the IIT Kharagpur’s new COVID diagnostic low costing device COVIRAP.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
- COVIRAP is a cuboid-shaped portable testing device that can deliver results in an hour, making it an effective tool to scale up Covid-19 screening in peripheral and rural areas.
- COVIRAP Device showed accuracy similar to RT-PCR testing.
- COVIRAP test would cost about Rs.500 and can be operated by a person with minimal training whereas RT-PCR kit is costly and it requires to be operated by a molecular biologist.
Working of COVIRAP:
- Each testing kit contains three master mixes which can confirm the presence of the virus.
- After the RNA sample is collected, it is mixed with master mixes and heated to a certain temperature after being inserted in the pre-programmed machine.
- There is a second heating step which is exclusive to this device and has been patented, which makes the machine unique.
- After the heating processes are completed, the RNA samples are put on a strip.
- Whether a patient is COVID-19 positive or negative is dependent on whether lines appear on the strips or not.
- The strips are then inserted in a cartridge in the machine from where the smartphone app uses the camera and inbuilt analytical tool to determine whether the test is positive or negative.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.