In Today’s News:
- CEMP stars.
- World’s first GM rubber sapling in Assam.
- Toycathon Grand finale.
1. CEMP stars
Scientists have found a clue to the abundance of heavy metals in the oldest metal-poor stars in a nucleosynthesis process called the i-process.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
CEMP stars and Significance:
- Metal-poor stars that show enhancement of carbon are technically called Carbon Enhanced Metal-Poor (CEMP) stars
- CEMP stars were formed from the ejected material of the first stars that formed after the Big Bang.
- CEMP stars carry the chemical imprints of early Galactic chemical evolution.
- Probing into the formation of these metal-poor stars that exhibit enhancement in carbon as well as the specified heavy elements can help trace the origin and evolution of the elements in the Universe.
- Heavier elements are produced mainly by two processes of nucleosynthesis– slow and rapid neutron-capture processes called s and r processes respectively.
- A new stellar classification criterion based on the abundances of barium, lanthanum, and europium to distinguish between the CEMP-s and CEMP-r/s stars has been put forward.
Click here to view the Courtesy: PIB release to know more about CEMP stars.
2. World’s first GM rubber sapling in Assam
The world’s first GM rubber plant sapling has been planted in Assam.
Prelims GS – Environment/Science & Technology
GM rubber plant:
- GM rubber plant was developed at the Kerala-based Rubber Research Institute of India (RRII)
- GM rubber plant has been inserted with gene MnSOD or manganese-containing superoxide dismutase.
- Natural rubber is native to warm humid Amazon forests and was not able to withstand the coldness in northeast India.
- This modification will help rubber plants to withstand the coldness in the Northeast region.
Click here to know about the Ban on GM crops and GM cotton on 19th June 2021.
3. Toycathon Grand Finale
Minister of Textiles, Women and Child Development Smt. Irani and Minister of State for Education Shri Sanjay Dhotre virtually inaugurated Toycathon 2021 grand finale on 22.6.2021
Mains GS2 – Governance/e-Governance
Significance of Toycathon:
- Toycathon 2021 was jointly launched by the Ministry of Education, WCD Ministry, MSME Ministry, DPIIT, Textile Ministry, I&B Ministry, and AICTE on 5th January 2021 to crowd-source innovative toys and games ideas.
- Toycathon-2021 is aimed at boosting the Toy Industry in India to help it capture a wider share of the toy market.
- Ideas generated in the Toycathon will help in making the Toy industry Atmanirbhar.
- The National Education Policy 2020 advocates for the 5+3+3+4 system and it asks for activity-based learning for children through toys and games, here the importance of regional Indian toys is very significant in connecting young minds with our history and culture.
Click here to view the official PIB release to know more about Toycathon.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.