In Today’s News:
- Lok Sabha passes three labour bills.
1. Lok Sabha passes three labour bills
The Lok Sabha passed three bills on the labour code. The new legislations are Occupational Safety, Health And Working Conditions Code, 2020, the Industrial Relations Code, 2020, and the Code On Social Security, 2020.
Mains GS2 – Governance/Polity
Labour bills -Highlights:
- Over 29 labour laws have been merged into four codes and that one (Code on Wages Bill, 2019 ) of them has already been passed.
- Firms with up to 300 workers can hire and fire without prior approval from the Government.
- The Occupational Safety, Health And Working Conditions Code, 2020 will consolidate and amend the laws regulating the occupational safety, health, and working conditions of the persons employed in an establishment and related matters.
- The Industrial Relations Code, 2020 seeks to consolidate and amend the laws relating to Trade Unions, conditions of employment in industrial establishment or undertaking, investigation, and settlement of industrial disputes.
- The Code On Social Security, 2020 will amend and consolidate the laws relating to social security with the goal to extend social security to all employees and workers either in the organized or unorganized sectors.
Click here to know more about Labour bills on the AIR website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.