In Today’s News:
- Trump suspends H-1B visas till year-end.
- ‘Country of origin’ must on the GeM platform, says Government.
- Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra festival.
1. Trump suspends H-1B visas till year-end.
President of the United States of America suspended H-1B visas till year-end in a move to ensure jobs for Americans. This move will affect many Information Technology professionals. However, this will not affect the existing green card holders, their spouses, and children of US citizens and those who are already in H-1B visas.
Prelims GS – International Relations
- H-1B visas are provided to non-Americans to work in the United States of America.
- US companies employ foreign workers for mainly IT-related jobs through H-1B visas.
- Majorly US Companies employ Indians using H-1B visas.
Mains GS2 – International Relations
Impact of H-1B visa suspension:
- The move of suspending H-1B visas is a protectionist measure taken by the USA.
- This move will definitely safeguard the jobs for Americans and it is in line with President of America’s “America First policy”.
- But the IT professionals mainly in India will not be able to work in the USA due to the suspension of H-1B visas.
- As a result, there will be a reduction in the number of jobs for Indians.
- Due to the reduction in jobs in the USA for Indians, it will affect the domestic market and the job seekers in India will increase.
- This eventually leads to an increase in unemployment in India.
2. ‘Country of origin’ must on the GeM platform, says Government.
In a move to promote local products, the Union Government has asked all the sellers to mandatorily mention the ‘Country of Origin’ on the GeM platform while registering new products. This move is in line with the Centre’s Atmanirbhar Bharat and Make-in-India policies to make India a self-reliant India.
Prelims GS – Economic Development
- Government e-Marketplace
- It is a Special Purpose Vehicle under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is a one-stop to facilitate and enable easy online procurement of the Consumer Goods & Services that are needed by various Government Departments, Organizations, and PSUs.
- The GeM is a dynamic, self-sustaining, and user-friendly portal for making procurement by Government officers.
- The main objective of the GeM is to ensure transparency, efficiency, and promptness in the procurement of supplies.
View the official GeM website.
3. Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra Festival
Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra was celebrated yesterday in Odisha. Every year, this festival will attract a sea of devotees. But this year due to the pandemic, comparatively less number of devotees only attended.
Prelims GS – Art and Culture
Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra :
- Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra is a traditional chariot festival.
- This is celebrated in Puri Jagannath temple which is located in Puri in Odisha.
- It is the oldest Rath Yatra taking place in India.
- Lord Jagannath is a form of Vishnu.
- Every year, Puri Jagannath temple authorities construct the three chariots of Jagannath, Balabhadra, and Subhadra with the wood of specified trees like Phassi, Dhausa, etc.
- Kathopanishada explains the concept of chariots in a greater manner.
Click here to view the Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra festival.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.