In Today’s News:
- Banks’ gross NPAs may climb to as much as 14.7% by March says RBI.
- Women in the army – Gender Equality enhancement
1. Banks’ gross NPAs may climb to as much 14.7% by March says RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said that gross non-performing assets (GNPA) ratio of scheduled commercial banks (SCBs) could worsen and may climb as high as 14.7% by the end of the current financial year, from 8.5% in March 2020, if there is a very severe adverse economic impact due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prelims GS – Economic Development
Refer to the Prelims content of NPA on 12th July 2020.
2. Women in the army – Gender Equality Enhancement
The Ministry of Defence(MoD) has issued a formal letter granting permanent commission to women officers in the Indian Army. After a long battle, Women officers overcome the gender barrier in the Indian army.
Mains GS1 – Indian Society (Women Empowerment)
Significance of the decision of Permanent Commission to the Women Officers in the Army:
- Gender Equality has been ensured through this decision of the Ministry of Defence granting the Permanent Commission to the women officers in the Indian Army.
- The decision of MoD has ended the prejudice associated with the Army.
- This was actually initiated after the Supreme Court Judgement where the judgment mentioned from Rani of Jhansi in the past to Squadron Leader Minty Agarwal of the Indian Air Force, who last year “was part of the team that guided Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman during the Balakot airstrike carried out by the IAF”.
- This decision will enhance the participation of women in the Indian army.
- Also, this has broken the gender stereotypes and will bring a change in the regressive mindset.
- Gender sensitization should be enhanced and the percentage of women in the army should be increased.
- The decision of the Supreme Court and the Ministry of Defence has made the women’s role more inclusive in the army.
- Thus, this is undoubtedly a landmark decision by the Government of India to empower women and increase the role of women in all fields.
(Note: The points highlighted in black are the keywords to be included in exam whenever any question is asked on Women Empowerment)
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.