In Today’s News:
- Poshan Abhiyaan.
- PM Kisan Sampada Yojana.
1. Poshan Abhiyaan
A report by Niti Aayog has said that efforts must be stepped up in Poshan Abhiyan to meet the targets by the Centre to reduce stunting, wasting, and anemia by 2022.
Prelims GS – Governance(Health)
- The Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition or POSHAN Abhiyaan or National Nutrition Mission is the Government of India’s flagship program to improve nutritional outcomes for children, pregnant women, and lactating mothers.
- Poshan Abhiyaan was launched in 2018.
- With the overarching aim to build a people’s movement (Jan Andolan) around malnutrition, POSHAN Abhiyaan intends to significantly reduce malnutrition in the next three years.
- For the implementation of POSHAN Abhiyaan the four-point strategy/pillars of the mission are:
- Inter-sectoral convergence for better service delivery
- Use of technology (ICT) for real-time growth monitoring and tracking of women and children
- Intensified health and nutrition services for the first 1000 days
- Jan Andolan
- It aims to reduce child stunting, underweight, and low birth weight by 2 percentage points per annum and anemia among children (and young females) by 3 percentage points per annum.
- Target is to bring down the stunting of the children in the age group of 0-6 years from 38.4% to 25% by the year 2022.
- NITI Aayog has played a major role in shaping the POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- All districts of States/UTs have been covered in the Abhiyaan.
Click here to know more about Poshan Abhiyan targets in the PIB release.
2. PM Kisan Sampada Yojana
Minister of Food Processing Industries Shri. Narendra Singh Tomar virtually chaired the Inter-Ministerial Approval Committee meeting yesterday. Proposals received under the Scheme for Creation of Infrastructure for Agro-Processing Cluster of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Sampada Yojana were considered.
Prelims GS – Agriculture/Food Security
PM Kisan Sampada Yojana:
- PM Kisan Sampada Yojana is a Central Sector Scheme.
- The Government of India (GOI) has approved Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) with an allocation of Rs. 6,000 crore for the period 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission cycle.
- The scheme will be implemented by the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI).
- The following schemes will be implemented under PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana :
- Mega Food Parks
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure
- Creation/ Expansion of Food Processing/ Preservation Capacities (Unit Scheme)
- Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure
- Human Resources and Institutions
Mains GS3 – Food security
Benefits of PM Kisan Sampada Yojana:
- PM Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a comprehensive package that will result in the creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
- It will provide a big boost to the growth of the food processing sector in the country.
- It will help in providing better returns to farmers.
- It is a big step towards:
- doubling of farmers’ income,
- creating huge employment opportunities especially in the rural areas,
- reducing wastage of agricultural produce,
- increasing the processing level and
- enhancing the export of processed foods.
Click here to know more about PM Kisan Sampada Yojana.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.