In Today’s News:
- Padma Awards 2021 announced.
- SVEEP and National Voters Day.
1. Padma Awards 2021 announced
Padma Awards were announced on the occasion of Republic Day. Some notable awards were Padma Vibushan, the second-highest civilian award to the famous singer SP Balasubramanyam, Japanese PM Shinzo Abe, Islamic scholar Maulana Wahiduddin Khan, cardiologist B.M. Hegde and the archaeologist B.B. Lal. Also, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri awards were announced for many notable persons by the Union Home Ministry.
Prelims GS – Governance
- The Padma Awards are one of the highest civilian honors of India announced annually on the eve of Republic Day. The Awards are given in three categories:
- Padma Vibhushan (for exceptional and distinguished service),
- Padma Bhushan (distinguished service of higher-order), and
- Padma Shri (distinguished service).
- The award seeks to recognize achievements in all fields of activities or disciplines where an element of public service is involved.
- All nominations received for Padma Awards are placed before the Padma Awards Committee, which is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
- The Padma Awards Committee is headed by the Cabinet Secretary and includes Home Secretary, Secretary to the President, and four to six eminent persons as members.
- The recommendations of the committee are submitted to the Prime Minister and the President of India for approval.
- The nomination process is open to the public. Even self-nomination can be made.
- The awards are presented by the President of India usually in the month of March/April every year where the awardees are presented a Sanad (certificate) signed by the President and a medallion.
- The recipients are also given a small replica of the medallion, which they can wear during any ceremonial/State functions etc. if the awardees so desire. The names of the awardees are published in the Gazette of India on the day of the presentation ceremony.
- The total number of awards to be given in a year (excluding posthumous awards and to NRI/foreigners/OCIs) should not be more than 120.
- The award does not amount to a title and cannot be used as a suffix or prefix to the awardees’ name.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs announces the Padma Awards on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
2. SVEEP and National Voter’s Day
11th National Voters’ Day was celebrated across the country today on January 25, 2021, with the President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind gracing the national level event held at New Delhi in a virtual, online mode. The theme for NVD 2021 is ‘Making Our Voters Empowered, Vigilant, Safe and Informed.’ SVEEP Endeavours: Awareness Initiatives during Lok Sabha Election 2019 book provides a detailed insight into voter awareness interventions, innovations, and initiatives during the 17th General Election, conducted in 2019.
Prelims GS – Governance
- Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation program, better known as SVEEP, is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India for voter education, spreading voter awareness, and promoting voter literacy in India.
- SVEEP’s primary goal is to build a truly participative democracy in India by encouraging all eligible citizens to vote and make an informed decision during the elections.
- The program is based on multiple general as well as targeted interventions which are designed according to the socio-economic, cultural, and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.
Click here to view the SVEEP website.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.