In Today’s News:
- Interpol Red Notice
- Jal Jeevan Mission
1. Interpol Red Notice
A red notice issued by INTERPOL is pending against Mehul Choksi who is involved in the PNB fraud case.
Prelims GS – World News/International Organization
- Interpol refers to International Criminal Police Organization.
- Interpol is an inter-governmental organization.
- Interpol has 194 member countries.
- Interpol helps police in all of the member countries to work together to make the world a safer place.
Interpol Red Notice:
- A Red Notice is a request to law enforcement worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action.
- It contains two main types of information:
- Information to identify the wanted person, such as their name, date of birth, nationality, hair and eye color, photographs, and fingerprints if available.
- Information related to the crime they are wanted for, which can typically be murder, rape, child abuse, or armed robbery.
- Red Notices are published by INTERPOL at the request of a member country and must comply with INTERPOL’s Constitution and Rules.
- A Red Notice is not an international arrest warrant.
Click here to view more on the official website of Interpol.
2. Jal Jeevan Mission
With the focus on faster development of North Eastern (NE) States, the Government of India released Rs. 1,605 Crore to 8 North Eastern States for the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission to provide tap water supply to rural homes in the financial year 2021-22.
Prelims GS – Governance
Jal Jeevan Mission:
- Jal Jeevan Mission is envisioned to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections by 2024 to all households in rural India.
- The program will also implement source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as recharge and reuse through greywater management, water conservation, rainwater harvesting.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission will be based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education, and communication as a key component of the mission.
- JJM looks to create a Jan Andolan for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
The broad objectives of the Mission are:
- To provide FHTC to every rural household.
- To prioritize the provision of FHTCs in quality affected areas, villages in drought-prone and desert areas, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) villages, etc.
- To provide functional tap connection to Schools, Anganwadi centers, GP buildings, Health centers, wellness centers, and community buildings
- To monitor the functionality of tap connections.
- To promote and ensure voluntary ownership among the local community by way of contribution in cash, kind and/ or labor, and voluntary labor (shramdaan)
- To assist in ensuring the sustainability of the water supply system, i.e. water source, water supply infrastructure, and funds for regular O&M
- To empower and develop human resource in the sector such that the demands of construction, plumbing, electrical, water quality management, water treatment, catchment protection, O&M, etc. are taken care of in short and long term
- To bring awareness on various aspects and significance of safe drinking water and involvement of stakeholders in a manner that makes water everyone’s business.
Click here to view the official website of Jal Jeevan Mission.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.