In Today’s News:
- Great Andamanese Tribe members tested positive for COVID-19.
1. Great Andamanese Tribe members tested positive for COVID-19
Five members of the Great Andamanese tribe tested positive for COVID-19 and this is one of the first cases of the virus that has infected the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group of the Region. (PVTG). These 5 members have been shifted to an isolation facility in Port Blair. Other PVTGs of Andaman and Nicobar were also tested and the administration is trying to test remaining PVTGs who live in isolation.
Prelims GS – Governance
Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups(PVTG):
- There are certain tribal communities that have the existence of a pre-agricultural level of technology, stagnant or declining population growth, extremely low level of literacy, and a subsistence level of the economy. They are known as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups(PVTG)s.
- PVTGs are the most vulnerable among the tribal groups and they live in remote and difficult areas in small and scattered hamlets/habitats.
- There are 75 tribal groups who have been categorized by the Ministry of Home Affairs as Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG)s. (Note: 2019 UPSC civil service prelims exam question)
- PVTGs reside in 18 States and UT of A&N Islands.
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs implements the Scheme of “Development of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)” exclusively for them.
- Under the scheme, Conservation-cum-Development (CCD)/Annual Plans are to be prepared by each State/UT for their PVTGs based on their need assessment, which is then appraised and approved by the Project Appraisal Committee of the Ministry.
- Activities for development of PVTGs are undertaken in Sectors of Education, Health, Livelihood and Skill Development, Agricultural Development, Housing & Habitat, Conservation of Culture, etc.
Click here to visit the official website of PVTGs content and guidelines.
PVTGs of Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
There are 5 PVTGs of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. They are:
- Great Andamanese
Click here to view the list of PVTGs of India.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.