In Today’s News:
- PSLV C51/Amazonia Mission.
Nanosheets were studied in a recent experiment by IIT Madras Researchers.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology
Nanosheets and their applications:
- Nanosheet (NS) is a layered material with a diverse and highly untapped source of two-dimensional systems with nanosize flake-shaped and has been studied extensively due to unusual physical phenomena of charge transport confinement to a plane.
- Nanosheets help in the detection of uric acid in urine and alcohol in the breath.
- Nanosheets help in soft ionization without requiring external energy sources like normal ionization.
- Nanosheets eliminate the need for external energy sources.
- 2D molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) is used as a Nanosheet for these experiments.
2. PSLV C51/Amazonia Mission
Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has congratulated NSIL and ISRO on the success of the 1st dedicated commercial launch of PSLV-C51/Amazonia-1 Mission.
Prelims GS – Science & Technology(Space)
- India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C51 successfully launched Amazonia-1 along with 18 co-passenger satellites.
- Amazonia-1 is the optical earth observation satellite of the National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
- This satellite would further strengthen the existing structure by providing remote sensing data to users for monitoring deforestation in the Amazon region and analysis of diversified agriculture across the Brazilian territory.
- PSLV-C51/Amazonia-1 is the first dedicated commercial mission of NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), a Government of India company under the Department of Space.
- The 18 co-passenger satellites onboard PSLV-C51 include four from IN-SPACe and fourteen from NSIL.
- Out of 4 satellites from IN-SPACe, three were UNITYsats designed and built as a joint development by Jeppiaar Institute of Technology, Sriperumbudur (JITsat), G.H.Raisoni College of Engineering, Nagpur (GHRCEsat), and Sri Shakti Institute of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore (Sri Shakthi Sat) and one was Satish Dhawan Sat (SDSAT) from Space Kidz India.
- The fourteen satellites from NSIL carried were the commercial satellites from India (1) and the USA (13).
- PSLV-C51 is the 53rd flight of PSLV and the 3rd flight of PSLV in ‘DL’ configuration (with 2 strap-on motors).
- These ushers in a new era of space reforms in the country.
Click here to know more about PSLV C51.
Click here for Daily current affairs for the UPSC exams on other dates.